market-farming - Re: Horsepower-4 legged kind

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "D.Bennett" <bennett AT frognet.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Horsepower-4 legged kind
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:36:12 -0500

I believe in the case of small farm wanting small horse - the answer would
be Halflingers. They are built like draft horses, but only get about 54 in.
tall. They are real people lovers and ride real good too.
And Sue, there are lots of Halflingers up around your area too. :-)
Probably not 50 miles from you there's an auction by their club a couple of
times per year. But, to save me I can't think of the name of the town where
the auction is held. Sorry.
Donna - near Marietta, Ohio - with Paint horses and tempted to get a
pair of Halflingers or drafts and cross with my Paints. :-)

>horse lover and have been trying to talk my husband into getting a pair of
draft horses.
>(We have riding already and he has heard all too often about how I just
have to have such
>and such horse so he is not falling for it.) If you were wanting a pair of
horses to do a
>small amount of work but also to have as a novelty I wonder how a pair of
draft type
>miniatures would do? Miniature horses are bred for different body types
and there are
>some specifically bred for a draft horse build in miniature. I know a
regular build mini
>can pull a cart with 2 adults in it. I am not sure the physical
capabilites are for the
>draft type but wouldn't that be a attention getter to see a pair of those
at work in your