market-farming - Re: Horsepower-4 legged kind

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Horsepower-4 legged kind
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:46:59 -0800

The harnesses while heavy are lighter than equipment. Sean's (business
partner and our horse handler) girl friend is a teamster extraordinaire.
She has had her team since they were pups :) about 13 years. They are full
sisters approx.11-12. She is probably 5'4'' and slim although sturdy. She
is the strongest woman I've met. I am not weakling (who in farming is) but
I am not close to her. But we could argue she got that strong being a
teamster (she has a "real" job as well). So I think you could handle it.
And one horse might be as good as two. She and her horsey buddies have for
the past two years plowed the field of the other CSA near me, its quite a
sight to watch about 6 teams plowing a field. Hopefully we can talk them
into plowing our fields. I know I have pictures of the horses on disc,
whether I have any in harness is a question if so I will send you one.
Beth

> Beth, would hitching them be easier (less heavy) than tractor implements?
> can't move our plows, equipment, etc.--too heavy!
>
> Liz
> Morningstar Gardens
> Pollocksville, NC
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: guldann AT ix.netcom.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')