market-farming - Horse manure/sawdust

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Horse manure/sawdust
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 19:53:53 -0500

Art, our area stables use sawdust. Is there an advantage to the straw over
sawdust? I've hesitated to use this resource since I'm not sure if the
sawdust would break down enough in a compost pile & I prefer straw. But the
stable owners would rather get the free sawdust than pay for straw. Storage
of manure is no problem as these stables are in no crunch for land. They
just dump it in the back field. Not enough me's for me to cooperate with
to get them to use straw. So we're doing the next best thing. Getting
horses. (dd is planning to teach riding lessons to future CSA members'
kids!)

Liz
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville, NC