market-farming - Re: sunflower pic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elizabeth Pike" <pike AT always-online.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sunflower pic
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 19:39:36 -0500

Adriana Gutierrez wrote:

> Liz,
> A couple of follow-up sunflower questions:
> 1. What type of spacing do you plant the Double-Shines at?

1 1/2'

> 2. Source for the seed?

Liberty, though it's expensive, and other suppliers listed recently may have
it cheaper ( I searched hi & lo, and couldn't).

> 3. Yield in number of saleable stems per plant/acre

This varies. Some plants branch out & some don't-depends on weather,
spacing, fertilizer. Minimum 1 per plant, maximum 5 per plant, usual, 3 per
plant. Haven't figured out the per acre yeild.

> 4. Days to harvest/length of harvest

As usual, this varies. For me, zone 8, about 60-75 days-I plant on April 15
& usually have flowers for July 4th sales.

> 5. Has anybody tried to sell sunflowers to restaurant accounts along
> with greens and veggies?

I don't do restaurant sales. For restaurants, if you're talking about
putting them on the table, the flowers must be small & pollenless.
Sunflowers can be top heavy, so they need adequate size & weight of
container, usually too large for restaurant tables. Small bouquets with the
flowers cut way down would look great, and of course, those large
arrangements near the doors.

Liz Pike
Morningstar Gardens
Pollocksville, North Carolina

  • Re: sunflower pic, Elizabeth Pike, 01/28/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: sunflower pic, Adriana Gutierrez & Dennis LaGatta, 01/28/2000
    • Re: sunflower pic, Elizabeth Pike, 01/28/2000