market-farming - Re: Question?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Sandra Beerman <sbeerman AT ucinet.com>, market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Question?
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 18:34:19 -0500

Sandra Beerman wrote:

> Lawrence, I have been reading the market garden page but don't know if I
> should ask this question there, Could you please take a look at this

Sure could be asked there. I will copy the list with my reply. Hope this
is OK.

> picture and tell me if you know of any source for the cord( tie downs)
> ??
> http://www.hort.vt.edu/faculty/welbaum/pictures/8-13.html
> Thank you for your time. Sandie Beerman-Tree House Farm

I have never seen this type of cord. It may be only available in Japan
but
you could always check the catalogs of the many greenhouse equipment
suppliers.
I would think that this method of venting a tunnel would be used
worldwide
and the necessary equipment universally available.

Anybody in the list familiar with this cord and have lists of greenhouse
equipment suppliers?
(I have some catalogs & will post info RSN).

It looks like some type of modified bungi with hooks or other attaching
apparatus at ends.
Homebrew could be done using any type of
auto/truck/tractor/bicycle/motorcycle
innertube. Cut in one place and split lengthwise and tie off one end.
Cut strips by pulling a
block of wood with several razor or xacto blades embedded in it - this
will cut several strips
at once, all equal width. Make the block cutter by drilling several
small diameter holes into
the end of the block through its length, all equi-spaced across its
width. Take a knife and
cut along the length of the block from the top down to meet the
predrilled hole to open up the
slot to accept the blade. Slide the one-sided/backed blades into the
slots from the end of the
block. Innertubes should be readily available from tire dealers free or
real cheap. With this
method you could make hundreds of bungii rapidly and they would last
forever. The Japanese row
cover bungis could be pricy if not widely used by growers. These could
be held to the ground with
cheap plastic or galvanized tent pegs from Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart,
or Kmart.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden

  • Re: Question?, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/28/2000