market-farming - Greenhouse Covering

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marc & Marcy <marc AT aculink.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Greenhouse Covering
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:58:56 -0700

I believe this could be of possible concern for some in the
group.

Our first order of 6 mil UV-treated poly arrived a few
months ago for our greenhouse that used steel support
ribbing and no problem with compatibility on the directions
for steel.

It took three 4' by 4' pallets connected together and a
Yellow Freight truck with hydraulic unloading capability. I
could only move the palletting with my backhoe. (I state
this to let those not baptized with poly delivery know how
big the package is and the delivery charge is not free.)

Our second order of 6 mil UV-treated poly arrived a week or
so ago for our latest greenhouse effort and a BIG problem
came with it! When we got the package, the protective
covering had instructions that stated not to use in contact
with PVC.

Our latest and greatest greenhouse design uses 2 inch PVC
with center beam-on-post support. At 30' by 95' it is not
practical to abandon it considering it is already
erected/assembled and waiting for the poly!

We called the saleswoman and she said that the only problem
with PVC was the black color and we could just paint it.

A call to the factory on the 1-800 number printed on the
protective cover got us THE Techy engineer who told us there
is a two-fold problem. One is with the black PVC (we have
white) and the other problem is due to the chloride in PVC
pipe. When the sun hits the PVC it will cause chloride
gases to escape and the poly will turn white where the PVC
touches and disintegrate. An older formulation of covering
USED to be OKAY to use with PVC.

Thought some of you would like to know.

(We are pursuing covering the PVC but await 3M's blessing
for the covering)

Marc S. Nameth