market-farming - Re: saran cloche

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: flowers AT rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: saran cloche
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:14:54 -0700 (MST)

>>glenn thanks for the input

we were considering using the saran wrap product short term as we are aware
of the uv deterioration problem

we have used the 6 foot clear perforated poly for low tunnels but the main
problem with these ,if you are not using a preemergent herbicide ,is the
lack of weed control

i am trialing a moveable cloche made from concrete mesh reinforcement wire
5ft wide covered with saran... when you need to weed you can lift one edge
of the frame and clip it to a post placed at one edge
after weeeding the cloche is then closed
7-10 foot sections seem best.. 1 mil clear perforated plastic works well
enough but is a bit difficult to attach to the frame

but the saran is lower cost and for short term use we are finding its just
as effective ..just as long as you remove when still flexible ....and it
sticks to it self so one can attach it around the frame and it adhears to it
self.
will advise futher trial results after we do a 300 foot row this spring

martin

Hey Martin:

>I tried using the shrink wrap on a temporary hoop structure. There were
>difficulties in making seals on the frames and getting the shrink wrap
>to seal to itself in unsupported areas. Wind was a major factor.
>Consider trying this in a protected area with only light winds.
>
>Marcie is right in that clean up may be a mess with fragments of shrink
>wrap falling apart on you as attempt to pick it up. So do repairs and
>clean up long before UV deterioration begins.
>
>Keep me/us posted on this, will you?
>
>glenn
>Buy from the Farmer
>http://www.smallfarms.com
>>
>> i'e been considering playing with the saran wrap product used for pallet
>> wraping as a short term 'glazing' for cold frame/cloche..perhaps even a
>> hoop
>> house ...any one out there tried this ??
>
>> martin>
>
>---
>You are currently subscribed to market-farming as: flowers AT rt66.com
$subst('Email.Unsub')

Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
223 North Guadalupe St. pmb # 159
Santa Fe, NM 87501
zone 3-4-5 depending on mother nature .. zone 5 this year and no snow

  • Re: saran cloche, Wilderness Flowers, 01/27/2000