market-farming - Re: Greenhouse design, was Re: Greenhouse/coldframe/cloche glazing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <lh AT pressroom.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Greenhouse design, was Re: Greenhouse/coldframe/cloche glazing
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:56:26 -0500

>However, I am still hoping to find a post and beam design.
>My timbers will be much more massive than the 2x materials that most plans
>assume. That means that the problem of rotting away from humidity is much
>less of a concern.

Our greenhouse is similar to what you describe. I planted 8 ft locust
posts since they seem to last forever (about 25 years as fence posts) on, I
think, 8 foot centers. I used a little concrete to stabilize them in the
ground like I would a gate post. Then I ran thinner logs as the beam,
nailing hem to the top of the posts. For the plastic supports I used 10'
by 2" pvc pipe attaching one end to the beam with pipe clamps and bending
the other end down to another locust log on the ground 8 ft away. I then
covered it with greenhouse plastic. By using furring strips in between two
layers of plastic an airspace was created for better insulation.

It works just as well as a store bought greenhouse and was alot cheaper.
This green house is 40 ft long and is used as a season extender. I'm in
northern Virginia.