market-farming - Re: Greenhouse/coldframe/cloche glazing. WAS:Re: CSA year round production for Western WA

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Terry J. Klokeid" <klokeid AT victoria.tc.ca>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Greenhouse/coldframe/cloche glazing. WAS:Re: CSA year round production for Western WA
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:55:47 -0800

Lawrence F. London writes:
>I was just going to post about greenhouse glazing options, sources,
>construction methods.

I am interested to learn more about construction methods. More
specifically, about greenhouse construction using something like post and
beam -- I have lots of logs from the site I am clearing to build a couple
of greenhouses, and would like to use those for the structure.

I would use clear plastic as the covering, with no heating involved. These
greenhouses will be season extenders, not year-round operations. Total area
to cover is about 10 or 12 metres by 25 metres or more -- depedning on how
far I go with the clearing.

One advantage I see to post and beam is that I would be able to easily
attach small structures to the posts -- supports fro runner beans, for
example. I could also attach pollen barriers, to the posts to separate vars
of, say tomatoes that might be succeptible to crossing. I am growing for
seed and so have relatively many varieties, each in relatively small
quantities.

The logs I have are mainly Douglas fir. Only a handful of cedars. .

Terry J. Klokeid, Ph.D.
Amblewood Organic Farm
126 Amblewood Drive, Fulford Harbour
Salt Spring Island BC V8K 1X2
Voice/Fax (250) 653-4099
email amblewood AT mail.com

"On a trouvé en bonne politique, le secret de faire mourir de faim ceux
qui, en cultivant la terre, font vivre les autres." (Voltaire)