market-farming - Re: Transporting tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marcie Rosenzweig <fullcircle AT jps.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Transporting tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:20:56 -0800

Jon Swartz asks

>We've also had problems with transporting the tomatoes without bruising
>them. I'm considering lining the crates etc. with bubble wrap... Any
>ideas there?

Vine-ripened heirlooms are a tough transport. I found that we had more
bruises from pickers that from the actual transport. If you looked at the
bruises, they were where a thumb and four fingers grabbed the tender big
guys.

We taught our helpers to cradle the tomato with one hand and pull from the
shoulders or use pruners to cut the stem close. We pack them shoulders
down in recycled LA lugs we collect during the winter Chilean fruit season.
LA lugs are the wooden ended, paper sided containers that grapes and
tree-fruit come in here. I've recently seen a shift to styrofoam, however.
I know the evening stocking schedule at several local grocery stores. The
health code won't let the produce guys save empty boxes in the back room,
so I have to get them as the department is stocked. Be sure you get the
lids so your boxes are stackable.

Bubble wrap in the bottom is a good idea. Be sure to wash it with a bleach
or food-grade peroxide to keep it clean. That obviously means using it
smooth-side up.

Marcie A. Rosenzweig
Full Circle Organic Farm
Auburn, CA