market-farming - Re: UPDATE! Future of Our Food and Farms Summit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Re: UPDATE! Future of Our Food and Farms Summit
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:06:27 -0500

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 06:04:33 -0600, "Del Williams"
<delannw AT dlogue.net> wrote:

>Does anyone else see this summit as anything more than another vehicle for
>the Hudson Institute, Dennis Avery, the GMO seed companies, and the
>generally anti-organic lobby to bash the production practices of many market
>farmers? Sustainable agriculture is the last thing on their minds. I
>highly recommend finding other conferences with more to offer the market
>grower. And if you are an organic grower don't bother wasting your money or
>time. These people would like to put you out of business.

They certainly would. Remember the recent post here about the
extension agent in Virginia who lost his job for following up a letter
to the editor condeming organic foods written by Avery with one very
much in support of organic farming and organic farmers. Any conference
inviting Avery as a participant would be one to boycott, scrupulously
avoid and encourage others to do the same. Lately Avery seems to
seek media attention where he appears with people prominent in the
field of organic agriculture. Salatin, in the debate, and now with
John Ikerd, who has much credibility.

Avery is, needless to say, lower than whale dung and should be
stripped of his American citizenship. It would be useful to observe
Avery's activities and pronouncements and use them as indicators of
problems American organic farmers will face in the future.

Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflondon AT mindspring.com
london AT metalab.unc.edu
http://www.ibiblio.org/london