market-farming - Agriculture bibliography part 13

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography part 13
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 00:53:43 -0500

A-Z of Useful Plants
by Jackie French, 1990. From after-shave, cough-mixture, glue and
shampoo to
tranquillisers, spices and wine. How to grow and make your own
products.
Includes Australian supplier list.
Available from WA public libraries - 581.61 FRE

Incredible Plants - Oddities, Curiosities & Eccentricies
by Robert Lee Behme, 1992. Nature’s weirdest; little-known facts
about rare and
common plants; history of plant development; meanings behind botanical
names;
herbal cures; ancient knowledge and new scientific discoveries.
Available from WA public libraries - 581 BEH

Communities, Co-ops & Collectives Literature

ANCIENT FUTURES: LEARNING FROM LADAKH StC 25.00
(preface by the Dalal Larna) (H)
Norberg-Hodge, Helena 87156-559-S
ART OF SUPPORTIVE LEADERSHIP: PRACTICAL CryC 7.95
HANDBOOK FOR PEOPLE IN POSmONS OF
RESPONSIBILITY Walters, Donald (Krlyananda)
916124-20-7
AT ONE WITH ALL LIFE A PERSONAL JOURNEY FlnC 14.9S
IN GAIAN COMMUNITIES (O) Bolce, Judlth
905249-74-7
BEST INVESTMENT: LAND IN A LOVING Well 8.50
COMMUNlTY Felder, D~ 910959~5
BOOK OF COMMON POWER: NARRATIVES AGAINST LURA ll.9S
THE CURRENT Schaper, Donna 931055-67-9
BUILDERS OF THE DAWN: COMMUNITY SIRI 17.95
LIFESTYLES IN A CHANGING WORLD
McLaughlln, C. & Davldson, G 913990-68-X
BUILDING WITH HEART: A PRACTICAL APPROACH EB2 ll.95
TO SELF AND COMMUNITY BUILDING
Day, Christopher 1-870098-08-0
CITIES ON A HILL: A JOURNEY THROUGH S&S 9.9S
CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN CULTURES
Fltzgerald, Francls 671-64561-7
CITIES OF LIGHT: A PLAN FOR A NEW AGE CryC 9.95
Walters, Donald (Krlyananda) 91612444-4
CLEARNESS: PROCESSES FOR SUPPORTING NSP 3.45
INDIVIDUALS AND GROUPS IN DECISION-MAKING
(b) Woodrow, P. 86571-011-2
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS: A JOURNEY OF SPIRITUAL RPC 14.95
DISCOVERY & ADVENTURE McNay, Ro~d laln
9517206 1-9
CO-OPBRIDGE COOPERATIVE EDUCATION W 7.95
LINKING STUDY & WORK, STUDENTS & THE
COMMUNITY Parsons, Cynthla 88007-186-9
COMMUNrFY LIFE, INNER DEVELOPMENT, AP 14.95
SEXUALITY AND THE SPLUTUAL TEACHER
Stelner, Rudolph 88010-354-X
COVENANT AND CONSENSUS Cypser, Cora E. KIM ll.9S
9625774-9-9
DIFFERENT DRUM: COMMUNITY MAKING AND S&S 9.9S
PEACE Peck, M. Scott 671-66833-1
DIRECTORY OF INTENTIONAL COMMUNITIES: AConun 16.00
GUIDE TO COOPERATIVE LIVING (O)
Cornrnunities Directory 9602714-14
DOCKLANDSCAPE Peters, H. 7Z24-0173-6 EB 5.75
ECOCITY BERKELEY: BUILDING CITIES FOR A NAB 9.95
HEALTHY FUTURE Reglstet, R. 1-55643-0094

===========THIS IS _THE_ CSA TITLE ========================
FARMS OF TOMORROW: COMMUNITY SUPPORTED BFGA 12.00
FARMS, FARM SUPPORTED COMMUNITIES
Groh, Trauger & McFadden, S. 938250-28-0
FINDHORN COMMUNITY: CREATING A HUMAN FlnC 14.95
IDENTITY FOR THE 21ST CENTURY
Rlddell, Carol 905249-77-1
GREAT GAY IN THE MORNING! ONE GROUP'S TCPr 10.95
APPROACH TO COMMUNAL LIVING & SEXUAL
POLmCS (H) 25 to 6 Baklng & Trucklng Soc.
87810-521-2
HOME! REINHABITING NORTH AMERICAA NSP 14.95
BIOREGIONAL READER (O)
Andruss, Van et al. (Eds.) 86571-188-7
INTENTIONAL COMMUNITIES: HOW TO START CryC 7.95
THEM AND WHY Walters, Donald (Kdyananda)
916124-51-7
JANUARY THAW: PEOPLE AT BLUE MOUNTAIN TCPr 7.25
RANCH WRITE ABOUT LIVING TOGETHER IN THE
MOUNTAINS NSA 87810-030-X
LEADER AS MARTIAL ARTIST: AN INTRODUCTION HR 16.00
TO DEEP DEMOCRACY (H) Mlndell, Arnold
06-250614-5
MAKING ART TOGETHER STEP-BY-STEP Perr, H. RPI 12.95
89390-118-0
MANUAL FOR GROUP FACILITATORS Center for NSP 12.95
Confllct Resolutlon
NEEDS OF A NEW AGE COMMUNITY: TALKS ON BENN 11.00
SPIRITUAL COMMUNITY & FOURTH WAY SCHOOLS
Bennett, J.G. 9621901-2-8
NEIGHBORHOOD CARETAKERS: STORIES, KSI 18.95
STRATEGIES & TOOLS FOR HEALING URBAN
COMMUNITY Dyson, B. & B. 941705-08-0
NETWORKING BOOK PEOPLE CONNECTING WITH PENG 10.95
PEOPLE Llpnack, J. & Stamps, S. 14-019116-X
NEW AGE COMMUNITY GUIDEBOOK (O) HSpr 7.95
Communlty Referral Servlce 944202-03-9
NEW CONSCIOUSNESS SOURCEBOOK: SPIRITUAL ArcP 8.95
COMMUNITY GUIDE #6
Spiritual Communlty Pub. 89509-058-9
NIBBLE THEORY AND THE KERNEL OF POWER: Pau 4.95
BOOK ABOUT LEADERSHIP, SELF
EMPOWERMENT/PERSONAL GROWTH Jamlson, K.
8091-26214
ORIGINAL SEX AND BROADCASTING: A HANDBOOK Mho 12.95
ON STARTING A RADIO STATION FOR THE
COMMUNITY Mllam, L. 91732(}01-8
PUTTLNG POWER IN ITS PLACE: CREATE NSP 9.95
COMMUNITY CONTROL! Plant, Judlth &
Christopher 86571-2174
REAL POWER STAGES OF PERSONAL POWER IN WS 11.95
ORGANIZATIONS Hagberg, J. 86683-823-6
RECEIVING THE COSMIC CHRIST: THE KARU 15.00
EXPERIENCE OF GLOBAL COMMUNITY
Jon, Shahan 9624414~6
REVOLUTION FROM THE HEART O'Brlen, Mall OrbB 10.95
88344-765-7
SO GREAT A CLOUD OF WITNESSES SHP 6.95
Rankln, Dav1d 89407-014-2
STEPS TOWARD INNER PEACE: SUGGESTED USES OTB 4.50
OF HARMONIOUS PRINCIPLES FOR HUMAN LMNG
Peace Pllgrlm 943734-07-X
SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES: A NEW DESIGN SIC 20.00
SYNTHESIS FOR CmES, SUBURBS & TOWNS (O)
Van der Ryn, Slm et al. 87156-629-X
THREE VOICES Hollands, J. 89407 012-6SHP 6.9S
TIME DOLLARS (H) Cahn, Edgar & Rowe, Jonathan R 19.95
878S7-98S-0
WE BUILD THE ROAD AS WE TRAVEL NSP 16.9S
MONDRAGON, A COOPERATIVE SOLUTION
Morrlson, R 86S71-173-9
WE OWN IT: STARTING & MANAGING Bel 14.00
COOPERATIVES & EMPLOYEE-OWNED VENTURES
(O) (revised) Beatty, J. & Karnoroff, B. 917S10-08-9
WITHYMEADE: JUNGIAN COMMUNITY FOR THE EB 13.95
HEALING ARTS Stevens, Anthony 904S7S-32-2
WOMEN TOGETHER, WOMEN ALONE Shreve, Anlta Faw 8.95
449-90S33-o
WOODSTOCK THE ORAL HISTORY Makower, Joel Dou 14.9S
38S-24717-6
YEAR I (ONE): GLOBAL PROCESS Arka 7.9S
WORKCOMMUNITY CREATION FROM GLOBAL
PROBLEMS, TENSIONS & MYTHS Mlndell, A.
14-019210-7

Cooking from the Gourmet's Garden : Edible Ornamentals, Herbs, and
Flowers
by Coralie Castle, Robert Kourik (Contributor) List Price: $12.95 Our
Price:
$10.36
You Save: $2.59 (20%) Availability: This title usually ships within
2-3 days.
Paperback - 224 pages 2nd edition (March 1998) Cole Pub Co; ISBN:
1564265633 ;
Dimensions (in inches): 0.54 x 8.01
Reviews From Booklist , May 15, 1994 An intriguing alliance by a
prolific
cookbook
writer and a landscape designer presenting recipes featuring
ornamental edible
plants with savory taste appeal. Many dishes highlight exotic culinary
ingredients
that should pique the interest of adventurous cooks; included are
cardoon, a
popular
Italian vegetable; chayote, produced on vigorous perennial vines in
mild areas;
feijoa, fruit borne on a decorative evergreen tree or shrub; and
elaeagnus (also
called goumi) berries. This sophisticated fare generally focuses on a
melding of
herbal seasonings with both the familiar and the unusual. Contains a
list of
resources and also of poisonous plants.

Philippine fruit and vegetable processing guide / compiled and edited
by Sonia
Y. de
Leon and Virginia D. Garcia. Published Manila : National Book Store,
1978.
LOCATION CALL NO STATUS 2nd Fl, Tec Stack 664.8 REQUEST NEEDED
Descript'n 210 p.
:
ill. ; 25 cm. Subject Canning and preserving. Food -- Preservation.
Cookery,
Philippine.

Preserving summer's bounty : a quick and easy guide to freezing,
canning,
preserving, and drying what you grow
edited by Susan McClure and the staff of the Rodale Food Center.
Published
Emmaus,
Pa : Rodale Press ; [New York] : Distributed in the book trade by St.
Martin's
Press, c1995.
LOCATION FLOREAT PARK 641.4 PRE VINCENT 641.4 PRE MT CLAREMONT
Descript'n xi, 372 p. : ill ; 25 cm. Series A Rodale garden book ISBN
0875966489
(hardcover : acid-free paper) Note Includes bibliographical references
(p. 361)
and
index. Subject Vegetables -- Preservation. Fruit -- Preservation.
Cookery
(Vegetables) Cookery (Fruit) Added author McClure, Susan, 1957- Rodale
Food
Center.

Unif title Stocking up III Title Stocking up : the third edition of
the classic
preserving guide / by Carol Hupping and the staff of the Rodale Food
Center.
Edition
1st Fireside ed. Published New York : Simon & Schuster, 1990.
Descript'n ix, 627
p.
: ill ; 24 cm. ISBN 0671693956 Note "A Fireside book.". Reprint. Originally
published: Stocking up III. Emmaus, Pa. : Rodale Press, c1986.
Includes index.
Unif
title Stocking up III Subject Food -- Preservation. Added author
Rodale Food
Center.
641.4 HUP COTTESLOE VICTORIA PARK PERTH CITY

Keeping the Harvest : Preserving Your Fruits, Vegetables & Herbs
(Down-To-Earth Book) by Nancy Chioffi, Gretchen Mead, Linda M.
Thompson, Jill
Mason
(Editor), Kim Foster (Editor) List Price: $14.95 Our Price: $11.96
You Save:
$2.99
(20%) Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Paperback - 208
pages
Rev/Updtd
edition (May 1991) Storey Books; ISBN: 0882666509 ; Dimensions (in
inches):
0.56 x
10.97 x 8.52
Reviews From The WomanSource Catalog & Review: Tools for Connecting
the
Community
for Women; review by Ilene Rosoff , February 1, 1997 This book gives
you all the
basics for canning, freezing, drying, preserving and storing a variety
of fruits
and
vegetables, and drying herbs. There are also recipes and instructions
for making
jams and jellies, pickled vegetables and even sauerkraut. Food
preservation has
long tradition; it's practical for reasons of economy and convenience,
but it
evokes
a special feeling to serve peaches in mid- December to your family, or
to give
something home-canned to a friend. Booknews, Inc. , October 1, 1991
Practical,
accessible information, updated to reflect current Dept. of
Agriculture
standards.
Annotation copyright Book News, Inc. Portland, Or. Customer
Comments Average
Customer Review: Number of Reviews: 1 A reader from Salt Lake City ,
December
30,
1998 I'm a 1st time canner & this book was helpful. I found this
book in the
library and used it for my first garden bounty -- my first canned
peaches, my
first
jam, and my first frozen green beans. Keeping the Harvest is
informative, fairly
comprehensive and simple to follow. I'm buying it now so I'll be ready
for next
summer!

Backyard Meat Production : How to Grow All the Meat You Need in Your
Own
Backyard
by Anita Evangelista Our Price: $14.95 Paperback (June 1997)
Loompanics
Unlimited; ISBN: 1559501685 Availability: This title usually ships
within 4-6
weeks.
Reviews The author, ale AT townsqr.com , February 12, 1998 The Best Meat
You've
Ever
Eaten. Tired of wondering where your meat came from, how it was
handled, or
what's
living on it? It's surprizingly easy to grow your own protein -- and
even a
teeny
urban balcony can produce the best tasting, most fresh, most
nutritious meats
you
can imagine. (That urban balcony could house a trio of quiet, clean,
"pet"
rabbits
-- who could provide two dinners per week for years to come! And
cheaper than
you
can buy chicken!) Just imagine what you could do with a REAL yard --
bacon and
sausage coming along nicely over there; scrambled eggs and fried
chicken growing
on
the other side; a handful of roasted quail bouncing around; some milk
and cream
--
and baked goat -- near the gate.... You don't have to be a farmer,
simply a

How to Live Without Electricity -- And Like It
by Anita Evangelista Our Price: $13.95 Paperback (May 1997)
Loompanics
Unlimited; ISBN: 1559501626 Availability: This title is currently on
back
order. We
do not have a reprint date for this title, but we expect to be able to
ship it
you within 3-5 weeks.
Reviews How-To Editor's Recommended Book How to Live Without
Electricity--And
Like
It could perhaps be more appropriately called How to Live Without
Being Hooked
Up to
Commercial Electrical Utilities, Save Money, and Like It. Whether you
seek to be
completely "off the grid" or simply prepared for occasional or
frequent power
outages, you'll find the concrete information you need. Among a number
of other
ways
to be independent of the local utility company, learn how to monitor
your
current
power usage accurately; convert to solar energy--both passive and
active
systems;
pump and store potable water; refrigerate food without electricity;
and generate
electrical power independently and charge batteries. How to Live
Without
Electricity
is a surprisingly nontechnical book, easy to read and understand, with
many
diagrams
and helpful illustrations. It also includes a list of the best
resources for
ordering the products and materials discussed and a bibliography of
additional
books
on cooking, heating, and cooling with alternative sources of energy.
Customer Comments Average Customer Review: Number of Reviews: 2
richard evey
r-evey AT usa.net from Boone, NC , January 5, 1999 An excellent general
introduction
to the subject. This is the kind of book than can be difficult to
find - a
general
work. Too many books will explain minor details of using a specific
type of
alternative power, but not any comparison with other forms. That is
why I like
this
book so much. It gives side-by-side-by-side comparisons of the choices
for
heating,
cooking, etc. Armed with the basics, you can then research into
specific areas.
That
task is also assisted, as there is a listing of companies and books
for further
reading. For those considering or curious about living at least
somewhat off the
power grid it is a must-have book. A reader , August 2, 1997
Electric! There
are
a few books out there about living without electricity and/or making
your own.
This
is the best one I've come across. It hits lots of areas, from wood
cook stoves
candle making to generators to kerosene lamps. If you ever plan to be
without
electricity on purpose, or if you think you might be cut off
accidentally (and
who
hasn't), buy this book. Recommended reading for all back-to-the-land
types.

The Encyclopedia of Country Living : An Old Fashioned Recipe Book
by Carla Emery List Price: $27.95 Our Price: $22.36 You Save: $5.59
(20%)
Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Paperback - 864 pages
9th edition
(May
1994) Sasquatch Books; ISBN: 0912365951 ; Dimensions (in inches):
1.90 x 10.90
8.48 Amazon.com Sales Rank: 103 Number of Reviews: 22 Customer
Comments : A
reader from Eastern Shore, Maryland , January 20, 1999. It's like
being able
talk with my grandmother! Growing up in New England, we were quick to
accept
the
"modern" life styles. I never had the opportunity to sit with my
grandmother and
gather all the valuable wisdom from her life - how to live a simple
life close
the land. How I could sustain my family off the land. In 1977, I
purchased my
first
copy of this book. It has been greatly USED and ABUSED! The front
cover has
since
fallen off, along with the first few pages. It is tattered. Notes have
been
scribbled in it. Pages are spattered with stains. And I would NOT
trade it for
anything. If my grandmother could have written me a book, covering ALL
areas of
daily life, I believe this is how she would have written it. When I
get stumped
by
something, my husband says, "Well, what does Carla Emery say. She
could tell you
what to do." And he's right, she does. "How to" - just about
anything!I have
recently purchased my second copy, as a spare in case one gets
destroyed. I
definitely wouldn't want to be without a copy when the year 1999 roles
over. For
my
family's well being, I consider it a very crucial tool.
amazonred AT webtv.net
from
Wakeman, Ohio USA , January 7, 1999 Excellent for anyone that wants
advice on
primitive living This is the best book I've found yet offering
everything
imaginable for "country living". I have used it many times for recipes
from soap
making to planting guides. Their candle making section is excellent.
They have
the
most informative book that I've found yet covering a very broad
spectrum without
being too vague on any particular topic. A reader from The Bayous
of
Louisiana
, December 15, 1998 The most comprehensive choice for self-reliant
living!
This
book covers everything from gardening to cooking to taking care of
your animals.
She
also has a section of encouragement at the beginning (actual
testimonies) for
those
who are trying to get off-the-grid so to speak. It has very detailed
information
on
the various breeds of livestock so you can make an educated purchase,
as well as
how
to raise, butcher and cook them. Ms. Emery also has a very inclusive
section on
gardening and harvesting the various grasses and grains and
vegetables. The
recipes
include soap making as well as tasty dishes from your pantry. An
excellent all
around choice! Pat Hoffman (burenh AT tstar.net) from Tow, TX (pop.
500) ,
December
9, 1998 There's no book like it! I have an older version,'70's
((currently
looking for an updated copy)and have always asked "Carla" when I need
to know
something from milking goats to making snow ice cream. She was the
ONLY one who
knew
what snow ice cream was. We are getting ready to move to Guatemala and
"back to
the
land" and Carla absolutely has to go with me!! tannis AT elko.net from
Elko,
Nevada ,
December 8, 1998 The way to step back in time in memory as well in
actuality.
I am
a friend of Carla's but have lost touch with her over the years. I was
a pen pal
for
many years and finally in 1992 I got to meet Carla at the North Fork
Barter
Faire.
She was working on this edition and adding some first hand stories
from the
mountain
people who were venders at the Faire. Carla if you read this, know
that you are
loved and it sure is good to have another edition out. love you girl.
tannis A
reader from America the Beautiful , December 3, 1998 A necessity for
the year
2000+
I bought this book years ago when it was first published. I learned
all the lost
arts my grandmother lived by. Now that we face uncertain times with
the new
millenium, I'm buying this book for family members who may need to
know how to
survive if our government fails to protect us.
masonpamela AT sprintmail.com from
Aromas, California on five acres , November 17, 1998 A Great Book,
But... I
received this book two days ago and already I've learned that my beets
might
cross
pollinate and that my Hampshire Reds are heavy layers. BUT - and this
really
worries
me - this book is printed on paper like newsprint. This is a book I
mean to go
back
to time and time again. I'm really sorry it's not built more
substantially. A
reader from Yakima, WA, USA , November 16, 1998 The style in which
this book is
written makes it delightful Mrs. Emery has done a wonderful job of
bringing
practical advise in an entertaining style. It many ways it feels like
reading
letters from a good friend. The information is general for the most
part but
detailed enough to be very usable. A reader from Middle Tennessee ,
November
11,
1998 Best darn encyclopedia/how-to diary available! I thought I'd do
Carla a
favor
and tell the world what a wonderful book she'd written. Too late! The
whole
world
already seems to know! This book truly is an Encyclopedia! It's
crammed full of
how-to information that I refer to as the lost arts. Unlike most
books, it's not
generic information, but instead, step by step useful stuff and little
known
hints
from folks who've spent a lifetime learning it! In addition to being
all
inclusive,
it's also her life's work.... A personal diary of her triumphs and
heartaches as
she
worked on this masterpiece. When you finally put this book down, you
feel like
you
really know her personally. As a mother of 4 small children, all close
in age, I
have been inspired by her. As a homemaker, I have learned a great deal
from her.
Thank-you, Carla for being true to your inner voice and putting down
on paper a
thousand lifetimes worth of knowledge. My family is better prepared
and living a
simpler, happier life because you've enlightened me! Nashville, TN
Lynette(lynylooper AT juno.com) from southern California , November 9,
1998 No
back
to the land manual is more comprehensive I purchased this manual in
1978 &
still
refer to it regularly. Its just like the old five & dime- there's
nothing you
can't
find there. We are living a very different life than we would have had
we not
found
this treasure. A reader from Reddick, Fla , October 23, 1998 I
LIVED IT!
Unlike
the previous reviewers, I lived this book. I was raised in a big city
in Florida
and
moved to a small country town (pop. 181) in the Arkansas mountains. I
was in my
late
20's and imagined myself as part of the back-to-the-earth movement. A
friendly
librarian pointed me to this book, which I bought after checking it
out so
often.
Since we moved to a small community where "everyone was related"
except us, we
did
not get much neighborly help at first. The first week there we bought
baby goats
(which rode home in the front seat with me), 2 pigs (which didn't),
and planted
our
garden. Using Carla's book we mail-ordered baby chicks who lived in
our bathtub
until the weather got warmer. We bought a wood stove and learned to
can and dry
vegetables. I tried most everything, using Carla's book as a
reference. When
it
came time to butcher our hogs, we could not get anyone to help us,
even for $$.
The
closest we had been to a hog before moving to Oden was in the grocery
store. So
we
checked out Carla's book and I sat on the cab of the truck reading the
instructions
aloud while DH took aim and shot the pig. We were both very nervous,
so we went
inside (it was very cold) and had a cup of coffee. Unfortunately, when
we went
back
outside, the pig was up and boy, was he mad! I won't go into any
further details
except to say we had funny looking meat that winter, but it was tasty.
By the
way,
the townsfolk treated us differently from then on. Anyway, I just
wanted to say
that you can really do what she says and make it happen. Carla gives
you
practical
backyard-to-table "hands-on" advice, and I've recommended it to may
people. A
reader from USA , October 22, 1998 Great resource that Carla keeps
up-to-date
This
is an awesome guide for many country skills and a great starting point
for the
rest.
Carla covers best the skills she's experienced in and gives a very
thorough
introduction and references to other resources to get you going on
just about
anything else. For more involved skills that you are really interested
in, you
should also get a book that is specifically about that subject. Some
suggestions
include "Deerskins into Buckskins" for hide tanning, "How to Grow More
Vegetables
Than You Thought Possible" on gardening, any of Michael Moore's guides
for
herbalism, and "The Natural Pregnancy Book" and "Spiritual Midwifery",
for home
birthing. Amazon.com sells all of these. A reader from Kansas City,
KS ,
September
27, 1998 THE MOST COMPLETE, HELPFUL BOOK IN TEN YEARS OF SEARCHING!
Carla's
priceless collection of country living wisdom from all over and from
all ages
has
been the most valuable, practical, and utilized in our home, after a
ten-plus
year
of collecting such back-to-basics publications. Her down-home
presentation
doesn't
leave you feeling like you just walked out of a city classroom. Folks
from the
city
and life-long country-dwellers alike find the Recipe Book a delightful
resource.
kgilles14 AT aol.com from Alta Loma, California , August 11, 1998 The
most
complete
and thorough book ever! When I purchased an 8-acre ranch in 1985 I
had a
six-month
old baby one on the way and had never been off of concrete in my life.
Now I had
8-acres, goats, chickens, rabbits, ducks, geese, pigs, 60 fruit and
nut trees
and an
acre garden. I had no clue how or what to do! I learned everything
from reading
that
book. How to harvest, can and cook up your garden & orchard harvest,
feed and
butcher animals, all kinds of doctoring for kids and animals, crafts,
and even
how
to cut hair. That book is so dog-eared with tape from all of my years
of use. I
owe
my sanity to that book. It has every scenario imaginable. I recommend
it to
anyone
living in the country or on a farm or thinking of it. What I learned
from Carla
Emery's book will stay with me forever! The knowledge is priceless.
Dawn Feken
(dawny8671 AT aol.com) from Lakewood, Illinois U.S.A , June 16, 1998 One
book I
dont
want to live without! Ms. Emery has truly been an inspiration in my
life. This
book
has everything from making soap to Butchering hogs! I use it in my
everyday
life. I
would love to her write even more so I can get more information on how
to live a
pure and Natural life! The chapter on Poultry I have found to be very
useful.
Many
things that are in there I have never heard of before .But now thanks
to this
book I
have. I have told many of my friends of this book and convinced a few
that they
couldn’t be without it either. To sum it up if all people lived their
lives as
Carla
and her children do there would be a lot more peace in the world! A
reader
from
Albuquerque , June 1, 1998 A great book for everyone! Even though I
am a
confirmed
city dweller, I enjoyed this book. I read it more as an encyclopedia,
rather
than a
how-to manual. It was great! Have you ever wanted to know how women
fed their
families hundreds of years ago? This book will answer all your
questions. It
explains all about country living and gives some incite into the
struggles and
the
many rewards that come with that kind of life. It is a must for any
reference
library! Rambler AT pop.skyenet.net from Indiana, USA , May 16, 1998 A
"MUST
HAVE"
for anyone interested in "country" living! I read this book quite a
few years
ago.
I borrowed it so much from my library, I got others hooked on it! So
much so, I
soon
was unable to check it out because someone else always had it checked
out!!!
Silveroak. AT centuryinter.net , February 25, 1998 What a Great Book
This big,
thick
book is full of all kinds of wonderful information. I love it! I use
it as a
reference all the time. It includes almost everything to do with
farming and
"doing
things the old-fashioned way" as well as references on where to go if
you desire
still more information and a helpful list of contacts and books for
each
subject. I
think it has something to teach everyone. I farm as a hobby and have
found the
book
indispensable and my relatives, who are homesteaders, found lots of
new and
helpful
information in it. This book would make a great gift and is a
must-have for a
library. It's like a country friend that sits on a shelf, ready to
give answers
when
you have a question! A reader from Washington, USA , November 24,
1997 My
wish
The Encyclopedia of Country Living is the essential wish book. I never
imagined
dreaming of hard work, but Carla has me dreaming it. Through my
correspondence
with Carla, I've learned the woman in the book is the real Carla. She
is a warm,
caring, knowledgeable person. If she were to write 3 more books that
were twice
as
long, I would read them all. Carla writes with such detail and such
truth. She
doesn't try to make country living sound easy or glamorous. My wish
is that
there
were more Carla's and more books with the honesty of hers. A reader
, July 31,
1997 Carla Emery fills in where our grandparents have failed us As
someone
whose
grandparents grew up on farms but abandoned the rural life and
neglected to pass
on
family traditions and wisdom, I am grateful to Carla Emery for
spending almost
30
years compiling this wonderful collection. As my generation
rediscovers herbs,
natural foods, organic gardening, frugal living, recycling/reusing,
home births,
home education, home health care, and the importance of family ties,
we need
something like this book to get us started on our quest for
information. So far
our
family has used it to build a chicken house, select chicks for our
flock of
laying
hens, build a rabbit hutch, can bread & butter and dill pickles,
plant, harvest
and
dry herbs, and much more. Reading this book is the next best thing to
asking Mom
or
Grandma how the old-timers did it, including the warm, folksy,
conversational
style.
A reader , February 16, 1997 The most complete book for countryfolk
ever
published
If you have ever wanted to get back to nature and live in a
self-sufficient
environment, this encyclopedia is a must! Carla Emery has grown up
living off
the
land and explains how to do everything from growing your own food and
butchering
your own animals to birthing babies at home. It is chock full of
delightful
recipes
and anecdotes. Once you read her book, you will feel a part of Ms.
Emery's life
and
literary success. A reader , August 28, 1996 THE "BACK TO THE LAND"
BIBLE OF
HOW
TO DO ANYTHING Carla Emery started out peddling recipes by mail to
make ends
meet
and gradually expanded them, by answering questions sent to her, into
telephone
book size compendium of everything you might need to know in order to
live in
the
any country with little money. It tells how to do everything from
locating your
land, digging a well, growing, canning, preserving, storing, pickling,
your
food,
raising, birthing, milking animals, making cheese, making do, and
surviving in
the
country. There are a few recipes included. Buy two copies! The first
you will
wear
out the first year. The second will be a reference. You will know
Carla as a
friend
with her personal story intertwined with a book as enjoyable as it is
informative.
Reviews Amazon.com For twenty years people have relied on these
hundreds of
recipes, instructions, and morsels of invaluable practical advice on
all aspects
of
growing and preparing food. This definitive classic on food,
gardening, and
self-sufficient living is a complete resource for living off the land
with over
800
pages of collected wisdom from country maven, Carla Emery--how to
cultivate a
garden, buy land, bake bread, raise farm animals, make sausage, milk a
goat,
grow
herbs, churn butter, catch a pig, make soap, work with bees and more.
Encyclopedia
of Country Living is so basic, so thorough, so reliable, it deserves a
place in
every home--whether in the country, the city, or somewhere in between.
Mother
Earth News Carla Emery is certifiably one of the craziest, warmest,
(sometimes
unintentionally) funniest, wisest, most lovable, and idealistic zanies
now
walking
the face of the earth and we think this old world would be a lot
better off if
we
had a few more people like her. Organic Gardening If you're
dreaming about
moving
"back to the land" someday, or if you're already there and want to
live more
self-sufficiently (wherever you may be) you'll want a copy of the
ninth edition
of
The Encyclopedia of Country Living...We think you're pretty swell,
Carla.
Country
Woman Rural Life from A to Z is well covered in Carla Emery's
Encyclopedia of
Country Living...Carla taps into her rural roots to bring forth a
bounty of
folksy
information. Book Description No home is complete without this
one-of-a-kind
encyclopedia! For twenty years people have relied on the hundreds of
recipes,
instructions, and invaluable practical advice in this definitive
classic on
food,
gardening and self-sufficient living. Whether you're in the city, the
country,
or
somewhere in between, you'll find The Encyclopedia of Country Living
indispensable.
>From The Woman Source Catalog & Review: Tools for Connecting the
Community for
Women; review by Tara Springer , February 1, 1997 Carla Emery started
this
ambitious
reference project in 1969 as a complete guide to family food
production and now,
in
its ninth edition, it has grown into an all-encompassing encyclopedia
spanning
everything from buying land to family farming to raising livestock to
barn
building
to beekeeping to bread baking to making your own yogurt, plus a
generous helping
of
suppliers, catalogers, books and magazines, and organizations.
Hundreds of
unique
down-home recipes fill these pages, along with advice and instructions
on all
manner
of food growing and preparation and a wealth of folk wisdom collected
over the
years
from homesteaders that Carla has met or corresponded with. This book
is an
absolute
gold mine of how-to, where-to information, whether you want to head
for the
hills or
you just want to learn to live more self-sufficiently. Synopsis
>From the
garden
or barnyard to the kitchen table, here is a comprehensive resource for
step-by-step
information about food production. Filled with more than 1,000
recipes, 700
mail-order sources, how-to instructions, and earthly wisdom gleaned
from a
lifetime
of self-sufficient living, this thorough, reliable treasury should be
in every
home.
Features 300 illustrations. Midwest Book Review No library is
complete
without
this one-of-a-kind encyclopedia. There isn't a more complete source of
step-by-step
information about food production, from the garden or barnyard, all
the way to
the
kitchen table. Filled with hundreds of recipes , detailed
instructions, and
wisdom
gleaned from a multitude of readers, The Encyclopedia of Country
Living is so
basic,
thorough, and reliable it deserves a place in every country life
collection.
With a
wealth of practical information, anecdotes, recipes, and personal
advice,
readers
will quickly become devoted fans of growing and processing every kind
of food!
The
author, Carla Emery CarlaEmery AT aol.com , November 3, 1998 Hi to My
Readers from
Carla! What a privilege and joy it is to have authored a book read by
more than
400,000 persons. For 25 years, I've collected information about family
food
production and related rural subjects. It feels good at this stage of
my life to
know that work was well done. My life is now a perpetual speaking
tour, helping
folks understand what's coming, "How to prepare for Y2K." (I hope for
lecture
invites also from overseas.) Everywhere I go, I meet old friends whom
I've never
personally met before. These folks have enjoyed and relied on the
how-to-do-it
information in the Encyclopedia of Country Living for years. Their
beat-up old
books
tell a beautiful story of hard work and dedication.. Sometimes I've
felt foolish
for
insisting on telling readers things like how to save seeds and how to
grow their
own
feed for farm animals. At times, I've been scorned and berated for
trying to
keep
oldtime skills alive. But as Y2K approaches, inexorably as the clock
ticks, this
information is becoming mainstream again. I love you, dear readers.
You have
been a
beautiful thing in my life, too. God be with you in the coming years.
Back to Basics : How to Learn and Enjoy Traditional American Skills
List Price: $26.95 Our Price: $18.87 You Save: $8.08 (30%)
Availability: This
title
usually ships within 2-3 days. Hardcover (March 1997) Readers
Digest; ISBN:
0895779390 ; Dimensions (in inches): 1.05 x 8.68 x 10.97
9 Reviews Amazon.com "Voluntary simplicity" has become a catch
phrase for what
seems to be a yearning for a simpler, more self-sufficient and
economical way of
living in the late 20th century. This book, first published in 1981
and recently
updated, was probably many folks' first in-depth exposure to the idea
of a
simpler
life, making things by hand, and enjoying a stronger sense of control
over
personal
budgets, home projects, and lifestyles. Hundreds of projects are
listed,
illustrated
in step-by-step diagrams and instructions: growing and preserving your
own food,
converting trees to lumber and building a home from it, traditional
crafts and
homesteading skills, and having fun with recreational activities like
camping,
fishing, and folk dancing without spending a lot of money. This book
will have
you
dreaming and planning from the first page! -- Mark A. Hetts Synopsis
With so
many
urban and suburban dwellers moving toward simplifying their lives,
Reader's
Digest
has updated its popular Back to Basics series to provide the ultimate
how-to
book.
It's packed with hundreds of projects and illustrated step-by-step
sequences to
help
you learn to live more self-sufficiently, with sections on shelter,
alternative
energy sources, growing and preserving food, home crafts, and even
recreation.
Includes over 2,000 photos, diagrams and drawings. Customer
Comments Average
Customer Review: Number of Reviews: 9 A reader from St. Charles,
Illinois ,
December 30, 1998 Far and away the most thorough primer on
self-sufficiency!!
This book covers it all...canning, energy, gardening, structures,
recipes,
tanning...the list goes on and on! All accompanied by easy to follow
diagrams
and
illustrations. For anybody seeking a simpler life, or any family
trying to
prepare
for Y2K, I cannot imagine a better text. Get it now!! A reader from
New Jersey
,
December 13, 1998 This Encyclopedia has Something for Everyone! This
book is
extremely interesting and varied with directions for building your own
house,
growing your own food, and all areas of crafts and recreation. A
must-have!
Chris
Hedemark (chris AT yonderway.com) from Timberlake, North Carolina, USA ,
October 5,
1998 Would you survive a serious crunch in today's society? This
book does an
excellent job of giving you an overview of the basic skills that
previous
generations took for granted, and the current generation has pretty
much
forgotten.
This book is a great starting point for learning how to be more
self-sufficient
and
able to survive even under the looming threat of Y2K, politicians
slowly killing
our
nation for personal gain, and overall greed and laziness that has been
sapping
our
pioneer spirit over the last 100 years. stormhnd AT sound.net from
Kansas City,
Missouri , October 1, 1998 A thorough guide to self-sufficiency This
book has
practically everything the serious Y2K preparer will
need...information on
everything from building your own home to supplying your own power and
growing
your
own crops. And each article comes with references to other works where
you can
find
more details. It's like having a self-sufficiency encyclopedia in one
volume. A
must-have, whether you believe in Y2K or just want to get back to a
more rural
way
of life. A reader from San Jose, CA , August 25, 1998 A Good
Starting Point
for
Simplifying Your Life This is definitely a good starting point,
whether you are
simplifying for enjoyment or because of the impending y2k (Millenium
Bug)
Computer
crisis. This is definitely a survival tool that WILL be needed
then..... Paul
Brand from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho , July 23, 1998 A One-Volume
Encyclopedia of
Country Living Skills If I could only have one reference book on
simple skills
for
country living this is the one I'd pick. It has how-to-do-it
narratives with a
multitude of color illustrations, diagrams, and photos. The authors
have
endeavored
to show how previous generations built their homes, produced and
stored their
food,
clothed and entertained themselves without our high-technology
gadgets. While
each
section may not be more than a page or two about a particular skill or
task, it
is
replete with references to books and resources which can be turned to
for
detailed
instruction. This will whet anyone's appetite for becoming a
homesteader - even
if
it's only in your armchair. This is the kind of book kids (and
grown-ups) love
read. crazyratt AT juno.com from Denver, Colorado , July 2, 1998 New
isn't
always
better This a book to be read by anyone who owns a bread machine and
has never
made
bread by hand. Step away from technology for a weekend and step into
the past.
Watch
your stress level plummet and see how Grand-ma and Grand-pa lived as
kids.
Laura
(laguess AT yahoo.com) from Houston, Texas , June 15, 1998 This is the
best book
I've
read. It's great to learn old-fashioned stuff. Doing things the
old-fashioned
way
is not necessarily easier, but definitely funnier. A reader , April
10, 1997
THIS
BOOK IS A MUST-HAVE! Every American should own a copy of this book!
If you
thought
making your own bread was exhilarating, you'll love this! It's great!
I learn
new
things every time I pick it up. This book has everything - from making
a slide
whistle to actually building your own house! If you don't own this
book, you're
really missing out on those traditional American skills everyone
loves!
Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography part 13, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/04/2000