market-farming - Agriculture bibliography part 12

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography part 12
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 15:20:34 -0500

Planting Noah's Garden : Further Adventures in Backyard Ecology
by Sara Bonnett Stein Our Price: $24.50 You Save: $10.50 (30%) Usually
ships in
2-3 days Hardcover - (May 1997) 448 pages

Reviews : Nature and Ecology Editor's Recommended Book : In Noah's
Garden,
published in 1994, gardener and writer Sara Stein addressed the
business of
making a messy backyard--of restoring a naturally chaotic and dynamic
"floral-faunal-microbial system" in the place of neatly tended,
carefully
selected and weeded, and ultimately artificial gardens. Just as
charmingly
written as its predecessor, Planting Noah's Garden furthers Stein's
campaign to
make lawns animated, full of disorder, life, and wildness. Studded
with ringing
tributes to alumroot, trillium, goldenrod, bellworts, and mayflowers,
this is a
lovely gardener's manifesto. Packed with practical instructions for
planning and
maintaining a garden of one's own, it's also wonderful entertainment
for anyone
with a green thumb.

Fine Gardening : Stein's radical approach was never destined for
everyone. But
for those who may want to follow her lead, Planting Noah's Garden
provides a
wealth of how-to detail for reestablishing a natural landscape,
inviting the
rest of us to contemplate--and implement--a real compromise between
Stein's
ungardening and our suburbs' unyieldingness.

Synopsis : Sara Stein's brilliant book, Noah's Garden, placed the
author at the
forefront of the new field of ecological gardening. In Planting Noah's
Garden,
she tells the even more fascinating story of the many ways people are
redesigning their surroundings to welcome back the birds, butterflies,
fireflies, and other creatures driven away by the sterility of the
typical
suburban landscape. 70 color photos. 100 illustrations.

Synopsis The ecology-minded author of Noah's Garden offers a guide to
transforming suburban backyards into attractive gardens using the
area's common
native flora, along with advice on killing weeds, collecting wild
seeds, and
much more. In this new book, Sara Stein travels beyond her own garden
to report
on the many and diverse ways in which people in all parts of the
country are
working to undo the damage and help restore their backyard ecosystems.
Along the
way, we watch her transform a new subdivision lot into the kind of
natural
landscape that existed before the bulldozers of suburban sprawl erased
everything in their path; we are introduced to an Omaha man whose tiny
city lot
serves as a migration stop for monarch butterflies; we see a multitude
of
wonderful variations on the American lawn; and we visit the author's
own "stone
terrace," a magical landscape that attracts all manner of fauna,
including
hummingbirds, butterflies, flocks of bluebirds - and people. If the
first half
of Planting Noah's Garden is an inspiration, the second half is
practical. Here
readers will find very specific descriptions of the ways in which they
can take
the necessary steps to transform their own gardens into rich and
lively
landscapes.

Customer Comments : horthhill AT yahoo.com from Vancouver, Canada ,
October 14,
1998 A brilliant book. "Planting Noah's Garden : Further Adventures
in
Backyard Ecology" is really Sara Steins' third book in a trilogy - it
follows
"My Weeds; A Gardener's Botany" (the first book) and "Noah's Garden :
Restoring
the Ecology of Our Own Back Yards". Planting Noah's Garden starts
off as the
how-to sequel of Noah's Garden but becomes much more than that
...Stein not only
candidly corrects mistakes and false assumptions from the earlier
books but
re-builds her vision of gardening, plants, wildlife restoration and
growing old.
She more or less takes apart her earlier reflections and explorations
and
re-fashions them into a concrete example of how to actually perceive
and achieve
a nation-wide natural backyard. Really, a brilliant book: a brilliant
series...
full of good thought and good advice.

Jack Lewnes (jackl AT olg.com) from Port Republic, MD USA , July 20, 1998
Essential reading for back yard, native plant oriented souls This
book is
totally enchanting. When I first read "David Copperfield" I told
myself that I
would read it again in a few years and it would read differently. And
it has.
"Planting Noah's Garden" has exactly the same feel. I have spent the
last six
months recommending this book to my naturalist friends. I have often
though of
passing my copy on, but have decided not to. I buy another copy
instead. I have
the feeling that this is a book that I will want to read again .and
again. Sara
states that "Children are part of the mega-fauna of every landscape."
She writes
about the basic need of children to look under rocks and logs, to
climb trees,
to discover the natural wonders that await them there. And, or course,
she tells
us how to make this happen. If you enjoy planting things, if you
enjoy your
yard, your children and your grandchildren, buy this book. It is a
masterpiece.

Gardening by Mail : A Source Book (5th Ed)
by Barbara J. Barton, Ginny Hunt (Editor) Our Price: $19.20 You Save:
$4.80
(20%) Usually ships in 24 hours Paperback - (October 1997)

Reviews : Synopsis This guide has long been acclaimed for its
invaluable roster
of plant and seed companies, nurseries, garden accessories, services,
libraries,
societies, newsletters, and books. Now, with a much requested and much
needed
guide to gardening resources on the Internet, Gardening by Mail is as
current as
it is authoritative. Line drawings.

Synopsis : The most complete, best organized, and up-to-date source
book for
everything a gardener wants to know or buy. Over 2,000 listings cover
mail-order
suppliers of seeds, plants, and garden accessories and service
companies in the
US and Canada, plus magazines, newsletters, and books--each category
with its
own index. Line drawings. --This text refers to the paperback edition
of this
title

Customer Comments : A reader from Hartlepool, England , October 22,
1998
Beg steal or borrow!! GARDENING BY MAIL Now on its 5th edition
Barbara J
Bartons book is just about the most comprehensive directory of
gardening
resources available. My copy is very well thumbed! Very wide ranging
but top
class! Beg, steal, borrow or buy. Published by Houghton Mifflin.
$24.00 ISBN 0
395-87770-9

Second Nature : A Gardener's Education
by Michael Pollan Our Price: $10.36 You Save: $2.59 (20%) Usually
ships in 24
hours Paperback - (August 1995)

Reviews : Synopsis More than eight years ago, Harper's editor Michael
Pollan
bought an old Connecticut dairy farm. He planted a garden and adopted
Thoreau's
viewpoint: Do not impose your will upon the wilderness, the woodchucks
or the
weeds. Here is his timely meditation and social history on man's
relationship
with nature and the environment.

Customer Comments : A reader from Cary, North Carolina , December 14,
1998
Thought through. Even though the garden philosophy gets a little
tiresome, the
other 90% of the book is educational and extremely interesting.

A reader, July 1, 1997 Captivating writer - recommending to all my
friends. I
read Pollans "A Place of My Own" and couldn't wait to read his first
book
"Second Nature". His writing captivates me and I hope he writes many
more
stories about anything. He's a wonderful teacher, story teller, yarn
spinner and
his inquisitive nature struck a strong cord. All my friends and
relatives will
get to enjoy it as a gift from me. Thanks Michael for a great read.

A reader, November 24, 1996 A fresh exploration of gardens and what
it means to
garden. Many of us fall into the trap of thinking that our
relationship to the
land must be one of either two choices: either we ruthlessly exploit
it, with no
regard for any but short term use, or we refuse to "meddle" in it at
all,
letting nature do what it will. _Second Nature_ explores the third
alternative,
that of working with nature respectfully to produce something that we
intend.
Believing that our relationship with nature can not be broken down
into simple
nature versus culture arguments, Pollan explores the overlapping of
nature and
culture. To that end, he discusses Americans' historical and
contemporary ideas
of what makes a garden a garden and attitudes toward gardening and
wilderness.
There is wonderful, thought-provoking commentary on the tyranny of the
American
lawn, the sexuality of roses, class conflict in the garden, privacy,
trees,
weeds, and what it means to have a green thumb. Pollan's stories of
his own
adventures in the garden are interesting and often amusing. His
writing is
thoughtful and his insight frequently unexpected, as when, in the
chapter "
'Made Wild by Pompous Catalogs' ", he points out that garden
catalogues are
selling not merely seed but their ideas about gardens. Pollan is also
highly
readable. It is hard not to like an author who says things like
"...the
Victorian middle class simply couldn't deal with the rose's sexuality"
or
"...there is a free lunch and its name is photosynthesis". _Second
Nature_ is
well worth reading.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography part 12, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/03/2000