market-farming - Agriculture bibliography part 11

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon AT mindspring.com>
  • To: market-farming
  • Subject: Agriculture bibliography part 11
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 15:19:26 -0500

Going Native : Biodiversity in Our Own Backyards (Handbook, No 140)
by Janet Marinelli (Editor) Our Price: $9.95 Availability: Usually
ships
within 24 hours. Paperback - 112 pages (August 1995) Brooklyn
Botanic Garden;
ISBN: 0945352859 ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.31 x 9.02 x 5.96

Invasive Plants : Weeds of the Global Garden (21st Century Gardening
Series,
Handbook No. 149)
by John M. Randall (Editor), Janet Marinelli (Editor) List Price:
$9.95 Our
Price: $7.96 You Save: $1.99 (20%) Availability: Usually ships within
24 hours.
Paperback - 112 pages (January 1997) Brooklyn Botanic Garden; ISBN:
0945352956
; Dimensions (in inches): 0.28 x 9.03 x 6.04
Customer Comments : A reader , July 11, 1997 Concerned about weeds in
the
natural environment? stop here I work for the Department of
Conservation in New
Zealand. This book is refreshingly simple. Excellent pictures of
around 50
species of invasive plants. The text explains weed environmental
impacts,
origins and distribution within the USA, and how to control the
problem. It is
designed to be understood by all, layman and professional alike. It
probably has
wider application than the authors intended, although the title hints
at their
broad understanding of environmental weeds as an international
problem. They
knew we are needing simple on the ground solutions for identification
and
control of these species that threaten natural ecosystems everywhere.
It is
applicable in New Zealand with many of the species being recognised as
a problem
here and in Australia. The other plants in this book may well become a
problem
here in future and I will be looking out for them here as I go about
my
business. The section on control methods was balanced covering both
mechanical
and chemical methods. As we say down under "Good on you" to the
authors.

All About Weeds
by Edwin Rollin, Spencer, Emma Bergdolt (Illustrator) List Price:
$8.95 Our
Price: $7.16 You Save: $1.79 (20%) Availability: Usually ships within
24 hours.
Paperback - 333 pages (August 1974) Dover Pubns; ISBN: 0486230511 ;
Dimensions
(in inches): 0.69 x 8.42 x 5.43
Reviews : Synopsis To the gardener and farmer, weeds have to be hoed
out and
plowed under, but weeds are also a fascinating group of plants. This
veritable
Who's Who among weeds (good and bad) describes and illustrates 102 of
the most
common found throughout the United States--the most likely you are to
come upon
in nature jaunts and come to terms with in your garden and landscape.

The Wild Lawn Handbook : Alternatives to the Traditional Front Lawn
by Stevie Daniels Our Price: $14.36 You Save: $3.59 (20%) Usually
ships in 24
hours Paperback - (September 1997) 256 pages
Reviews : From Booklist , January 15, 1995 Native grasses,
wildflowers, ground
covers, and moss are Daniels' answer to "monotonous single-species
turfgrass
lawns." Her book is a primer for gardeners who want to reduce or stop
using
chemical fertilizers and pesticides, conserve water, or turn their
yards into a
collection of plants that attracts birds, butterflies, and other
wildlife. There
are detailed instructions on choosing a wild lawn and on installing
and
maintaining the lawn, and even a chapter on landscaping ordinances.
Daniels
divides the wild lawns into chapters on prairies and native grasses,
meadows,
moss lawns, woodlands, ground covers, and front-yard gardens. The
result is
little need for polluting fertilizers and demanding watering
regimens--and you
won't have to mow ever again. This comprehensive book includes 16
color
photographs. George Cohen Copyright 1995, American Library
Association. All
rights reserved --This text refers to the hardcover edition of this
title

Book Description : Now available for the first time in paperback, The
Wild Lawn
Handbook is the definitive guide to transforming the traditional grass
lawn into
a beautiful alternative lawn using native grasses, ferns, mosses,
wildflowers,
low-growing shrubs, and perennials. In the last few years, there has
been a
media outcry to raise the publics awareness of the toxicity and
water-wasting
nature of the American lawn, making wild lawns one of today’s hottest
gardening
topics. This is the first comprehensive book to show you the way
step-by-step.
If you are unsure of the consequences...you’ll be convinced when you
see the
beautiful alternatives in a portfolio of color photography in the
center of the
book and the fat lists of sources and support material in the back.
The New York
Times Stevie Daniels, the former editor of Organic Gardening magazine,
has
written articles on natural gardening and environmental

Synopsis : The definitive guide to transforming the traditional grass
lawn into
a beautiful alternative lawn using native grasses, ferns, mosses,
wildflowers,
low-growing shrubs, and perennials is now available in paperback.
color insert.

Customer Comments : A reader, June 19, 1997 An indispensable guide
for
progressive gardeners. There are quite a few books out now about why
we
shouldn't stick with the traditional grass lawn, but this is the best
one I've
seen to explain the practical alternatives, with inspiring photos and
helpful
appendices. Ms. Daniels is really concerned with the aesthetics as
well as the
politics of environmentally friendly yards. I recommend it to all my
friends who
are thinking about getting rid of some or all of the grass. A "9" just
because I
wish it had more pictures! --This text refers to the hardcover edition
of this
title

Noah's Garden : Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Back Yards
by Sara Bonnett Stein Our Price: $9.60 You Save: $2.40 (20%) Usually
ships in 24
hours Paperback - (April 1995)
Reviews : Amazon.com : What kind of grass is planted behind your
house? What
insects burrow in your soil, and what birds eat them? What's happening
in that
compost pile you're so proud of? This book may well change the view
from your
patio. A former old-style suburban gardener, Sara Stein writes
convincingly of
the ecological history of suburbia and the necessity of good
stewardship of the
land stolen from prairies and forests to make our back yards.

Michael Pollan, author of Second Nature : A gentle but important
manifesto. It
joins the ecologist's vision to the gardener's art in the urgent work
of
translating the American lawn into something more beautiful and
interesting and
alive.

The Washington Post : By offering readers a thousand and one fun
things to know
and do, Stein has made a contribution to environmental literature that
is both
useful and delightful.

From Kirkus Reviews , March 1, 1993 : A personal perspective on the
growing
movement toward more natural and ecologically sound gardens in which
snakes are
as welcome as butterflies. In chapters that loosely follow the course
of a
year-- beginning in the fall and ending the following
Thanksgiving--Stein (My
Weeds, 1988, etc.) describes how she came to change radically the way
she
gardened. The author, who lives with her husband on six acres in Pound
Ridge,
New York, began to question conventional practices--large lawns
surrounded by
neat beds of flowers and occasional specimen plantings--when, a few
years ago,
she noticed the absence of many creatures she could recall from
childhood.
Creatures like orioles, bluebirds, box turtles, and Monarch
butterflies, once
common, were seen no more. Stein began reading books and consulting
experts, and
decided to try to reverse the trend by changing the way she maintained
her land.
To restore the delicate balance necessary for a native ecology to
flourish, she
planted not only shrubs and trees native to the region but ones that
would
encourage birds and beneficial insects to return. She deepened her
pond so that
fish and turtles could flourish in water purified by appropriate plant
life;
replaced most flower beds with plantings of native flowers and shrubs;
restricted the lawns to a small patch; seeded the old lawns with
native grasses;
and began to restore woodland areas to their pristine state. Stein
still plants
favorite foreign species, but argues forcefully that the old methods
of
gardening not only require inordinate amounts of labor and chemicals
to keep
unsuitable plants alive but are dangerously inhospitable to indigenous
inhabitants. A persuasive and informed plea to change the way we
garden,
thoughtfully defying old wisdom and suggesting, without ever being
didactic,
just what can be achieved even on the smallest suburban lot. --
Copyright 1993,
Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved. --This text refers to an
out of
print or unavailable edition of this title.

Synopsis : This book shows us how our landscape style of neat yards
and gardens
has devastated suburban ecology, wiping out entire communities of
plants and
animals. When Stein realized what her intensive efforts at making a
garden had
done, she set out to "ungarden." Her book interweaves an account of
her efforts
with an explanation of the ecology of gardens. Illustrations.

Synopsis Arguing for a radical new approach to gardening, the author
discusses
the ravages of suburban landscaping and proposes a plan for restoring
native
plant and animal life to the nation's communities. By the author of My
Weeds.
Tour. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of
this
title.

Synopsis : America's landscape style of neat yards and gardens has
devastated
suburban ecology. After a decade of intensive gardening, Stein thought
she had
created her personal Eden and then realized she had banished animals
from her
paradise. This book tells of her efforts to build a garden that
welcomes all
creatures. Line drawings and maps. --This text refers to an out of
print or
unavailable edition of this title.

Customer Comments : adunten AT netcenter.net from Houston, Texas ,
November 20,
1998 Wonderful book... a real eye-opener! I highly, HIGHLY recommend
this book
to everyone who ever hopes to own and landscape a plot of land, and to
everyone
else, too. I read it, then re-read it two weeks later. Sara Stein
opened my eyes
and changed my perspective, and she can open yours, too. More of a
philosophical
work than a practical how-to guide... most of her practical advice is
specific
to New England, but the fundamental ideas are universal.

billyland AT worldnet.att.net from Flat Rock, North Carolina , August 30,
1998
wonderful book about bringing Nature back into your garden. I was in
the middle
of reading Mrs. Stein's book when I encountered wild turkeys in my
front yard,
and realized what a fragile world exists here in my subdivision. Our
formal
garden was constructed with some thought about attracting birds, but
with too
many exotic species unsuitable to the place. Her careful research and
explanation of the complexities of habitats is utterly convincing and
we will be
making significant changes in our gardens. If you read this book, I
think you
will, too. It was a joy to read.

Lee Story (story AT zk3.dec.com) from Massachusetts , May 15, 1998 Best
of type,
without a doubt. Very likely the best "how to" book I've read, Sara
Stein's
masterpiece is unquestionably the best introduction to natural
planting and
landscaping. The prose is a delight too. I look forward to reading her
recent
sequel.

A reader , April 3, 1997 Possibly the best book ever written on this
subject.
Being a writer of similar books on the same subject I've read many
books of
ecological gardening. When I was researching for my latest book which
would be
called in English "THE WILD GARDEN-a gardening guide for the lazy" I
drew
extensively and benefited greatly from Ms. Steins book. Of all the
books I've
ever read on the subject this one is absolutely the tops. Ms. Stein
has a way of
making the reader aware of the disastrous muck-up we've done to
ecology,
blissfully ignorant of our actions. At the same time she refrains from
preaching
and her prose is fluid, easily understood and fun to read. It is my
opinion, and
I truly believe this, that Ms. Stein has done more for the
conservation of
nature than many national and international institutions.

A shopper , February 24, 1997 The "Bible" for practical, native
landscaping.
It is rare that a book actually makes a change in your life but Noah's
Garden
did for me. Years ago my husband and I tried to explain to a landscape
architect
the natural effect we wanted. He did a pretty good job but suggested
all sorts
of exotic plants. If we had only had Sara Stein's book then! It is
full of lower
care native and natural planting tips and information. For those of
you who find
the sameness and sterility of suburban landscaping unattractive, Sara
Stein has
paradise waiting for you in this book. Do you wonder why you no longer
have
fireflies? Find out why and how to right this in Noah's Garden. A
great, great
book. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of
this
title.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon AT mindspring.com london AT metalab.unc.edu

  • Agriculture bibliography part 11, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 03/03/2000