machinist - [machinist] (8) Geometric Threading - YouTube

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] (8) Geometric Threading - YouTube
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 00:55:52 -0400

(8) Geometric Threading - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GkmMAqn9fA

Published on Jul 15, 2014
In this video, we bring out the Geometric die head and use it to machine threads on some 7/16" rods. I show you my setup in the lathe, and also in the mill for the small holes that were required as well. I also bring out the Jefferson power hacksaw and use it to cut the rods to length. I hope you guys enjoy, and let me know what you think,

Not too common knowledge, but if you look in your machinist's handbook under thread specs, look for thread ROOT DIAMETER,  then if you turn a piece of stock to that size, it can be used as a gage to set your die head to size, by adjusting the chasers to a snug fit over the gage, saving a lot of time in adjusting them by trial and error; if the gage is kept with the chaser set, it can be easily found when needed; also they can be operated at a conservative 50 feet per minute cutting speed for soft steel without fear of dulling the chasers.  Projection style chasers are used with long life in mind for many repeated sharpenings on the chamfer, without having the chamfer get too long; some of the projection is simply ground back.  he lever on the die head is not intended for size adjustment, but to allow a roughing cut and a subsequent finishing cut when cutting coarse pitches, and are not normally seen on 9/16 - D die heads, which I think yours is, but is always on larger die heads.  I also have a 9/16 - D and a 7/8 capacity Jones & Lampson Hartness die head that I use in my retirement shop, after having a local machine shop for 38 years, having started apprenticeship in 1964 where I had my introduction to Geometric, Hartness, Landis, and J&L tangent die heads;  the Geometric is so popular, in my mind, because it is by far the easiest die head to set up or change chasers in; the J&L is probably the most accurate and the Landis, the easiest to sharpen chasers and chasers can be used to cut all diameters within the range of the head, and chasers of the same number can be used to replace chasers in other sets that have been damaged or broken.   I too like power hacksaws, have a Peerless 6X6 in my shop that I have owned for about 50 years; in my old shop, I had a 6X6 Marvel power hacksaw, which I think is the best and fastest cutting hacksaw ever made, has a quick return motion on the saw frame and positive feed, adjustable in thousandths; you can cut thin or thick material with the same VERY coarse blade, such as 3 or 4 teeth per inch.

  • [machinist] (8) Geometric Threading - YouTube, Lawrence London, 04/13/2018