machinist - [machinist] OT: Jumper Cables, Where to get good ones?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] OT: Jumper Cables, Where to get good ones?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2016 22:30:30 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/ot-jumper-cables-where-get-good-ones-216581/

I've decided to make my own, to a "family standard". Here is the recipe:
  • 25 foot length
  • 2 awg welding cable
  • Anderson style connectors
  • Clamp pigtail for non-Family Standard applications
  • Polarity indicator integrated into the pigtail.
I'll fit all of the family vehicles with a hardwired Anderson style (forklift) connector. The cables will be 25 ft long with an Anderson connector at both ends. I'll make an Anderson connector pigtail (using mud's long/short feature) with typical jumper cable clamps for situations when a non-equipped vehicle is used. I would really like to have some sort of polarity indicator built into the clamp pig tail, like a green led.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-connectors/=acmj8n

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I'm not totally settled on wire size or connector size. These are only going to be used for personal vehicles, no heavy equipment or diesels. On the connectors they jump from 175 amp to 350 amp capacities. Price isn't a factor as much as trying to keep the bulk to a minimum. Wire size wise, #2 seems about right, would #4 be too light @ 25 feet?

<>

When I make cables from welding cable for a special application or just jumpers, I make the negative lead 10" shorter on both ends when I tape them ( or shrink them - good tip)together. That way when one end of the set is connected to power and the other end is loose and dangling from someone's hand the clamps can't easily touch together and arc. Plus it reinforces which one to connect first.

  • [machinist] OT: Jumper Cables, Where to get good ones?, Lawrence London, 02/03/2016