machinist - [machinist] Need some help with a Hardinge HV4 5C Indexer

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Need some help with a Hardinge HV4 5C Indexer
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 16:25:26 -0400

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/need-some-help-hardinge-hv4-5c-indexer-283335/

  1. SpongeRich is offline Aluminum
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    120

    Default Need some help with a Hardinge HV4 5C Indexer

    I just picked up a Hardinge HV-4 Indexer that's missing the locking pin and lever. Naturally, the Hardinge diagrams I've found manage to omit those parts.

    Anyone out there willing to take theirs apart (if you think about it, it's probably time to clean yours anyway) and snap a couple of pics and maybe take a couple measurements so I can make some replacement parts?

    Many Thanks
    -Rich

  2. 04-11-2014, 03:00 PM #2
    Metalcutter's Avatar
    Metalcutter is online now Titanium
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,670

    It was a tapered pin, which fit the dividing wheel. I seem to think the holes may have been tapered as well.

    So for the pin, get some O1 tool steel and fool around and make one.

    I don't remember enough to help on the lever. Maybe if you open your's up, and can get some pics, I could remember more.

    Stan-
  3. 04-11-2014, 06:48 PM #3
    SpongeRich is offline Aluminum
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    120

    Thanks Stan. I opened it up and found that the taper pin and bushing are still there. Now I just need to figure out how the drive works. I've found a few breadcrumbs. There's a PDF parts manual floating around the Intertubes, but maddeningly, it's missing the 1st page that lists the parts I need. I've dropped a note to Hardinge. Despite the fact that they want $4500 for a complete unit, some of the individual parts aren't all that bad.
  4. 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM #4
    SpongeRich is offline Aluminum
    Apr 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    120

    Sweet! I got a hold of Hardinge this morning. They have the pinion in stock for $60 shipped.

    Since I don't have one to copy, that seemed worth just buying. I passed on the handle since I can easily make that to my liking.
  5. 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM #5
    Metalcutter's Avatar
    Metalcutter is online now Titanium
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    2,670

    Quote Originally Posted by SpongeRich View Post
    Thanks Stan. I opened it up and found that the taper pin and bushing are still there. Now I just need to figure out how the drive works. I've found a few breadcrumbs. There's a PDF parts manual floating around the Intertubes, but maddeningly, it's missing the 1st page that lists the parts I need. I've dropped a note to Hardinge. Despite the fact that they want $4500 for a complete unit, some of the individual parts aren't all that bad.
    Thanks for the come back!

    Those are some good tools. Take it all apart gently and give it a good bath. See how it works. The taper sleeve is "cute," reassemble it with some good grease and turn and tighten 'till it just freezes. Then incrementally loosen the nut, 'til it just moves with a little bitty touch of drag, and has no back and forth movement.

    Never let it out of your sight.

    Good on 'ya,

    Stan

  • [machinist] Need some help with a Hardinge HV4 5C Indexer, Lawrence London, 04/14/2014