machinist - [machinist] Quad-I Precision CNC Milling Vise

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Quad-I Precision CNC Milling Vise
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 20:41:06 -0500

Quad-I Precision CNC Milling Vise
http://www.quad-i.com/

What is the NEW Quad-I Vise?

by the designer and inventor of the original Quad-I Vise, Stanley Dornfeld

The Quad-I Vise was redesigned for the Machinist. Why? Because all of the earnings coming into the machine shop, come in through the hands of the machinist first; and Quad-I is here to help him.

The Clamp
The first order of business was to build a very good clamp.  The “Straight Line Clamping” feature employed in the Quad–I Vise applies all of the clamping force to hold the part.  The vise is very sensitive to feel.  When needing a light force, a light touch can yield one.  When needing a strong force for holding, the extra clamping force developed by “Straight Line Clamping” will supply one.  The box way design of the moving jaw has a very close running fit, less than one thousandth of an inch, yet it still has a free running slide.

The Fixed Jaw
The second order of business was to have the fixed jaw in front, to align the vise to the machine’s coordinate system.  This is a big advantage in helping the machinist keep his mind clear of work-a-rounds and confusing extra steps needed to make accurate parts.

The fixed Jaw in front enabled other advantages to emerge.  The Acme screw passes through the fixed jaw.  The Capture nut which is attached to the screw applies the clamping force to the fixed jaw.  This same force is also pulling the moving jaw in to clamp the work.  These opposing forces neutralize each other and create a balance between the two jaws.  This system offsets the pressure against the fixed jaw allowing it to remain a stable zero reference for repeatability.

read full article

  • [machinist] Quad-I Precision CNC Milling Vise, Lawrence London, 02/04/2014