machinist - [machinist] Best web retailer for indexible turning tools and inserts?

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Best web retailer for indexible turning tools and inserts?
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:40:58 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/best-web-retailer-indexible-turning-tools-inserts-279518/

  1. 02-03-2014, 05:07 PM #1
    James Lederer is online now Aluminum
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern Wisconsin
    Posts
    236

    I'm looking for a place to buy indexible turning tools and inserts. I'm somewhat frustrated by the usual places. Mcmaster has a small selection and no listed brand names. MSC has a broken website database that doesn't list insert compatibility properly, and the website is ridiculously hard to use.

    I'm not real experienced in buying turning tools like this, my insert and toolholder vocabulary is somewhat limited. I'm looking for a website that has good descriptions of the products and explanations for the nomenclature. My goal is to avoid the typical salesman visit. Does anyone have a recommendation?
  2. 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM #2
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    3,808

    Call Curtis at 256 658 7623 I get my inserts and lots of other tooling from him, he is easy to talk to, has good prices and knows his shit. He is Exkenna on this site
  3. 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM #3
    Ray Behner's Avatar
    Ray Behner is online now Titanium
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Brunswick Oh USA
    Posts
    2,650

    I agree with Moonlight. I asked Curtis about some old Valenite numbers recently. He knows his stuff!
  4. 02-03-2014, 10:44 PM #4
    Bobw's Avatar
    Bobw is online now Diamond
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hatch, NM Chile capital of the WORLD
    Posts
    4,742

    I'm a Curtis fan also. 6-7 years ago, MSC got 90% of my tooling budget, last year they got less than $100.

    There is a trick to dealing with Curtis, you just tell him what you want. And then it shows up on your door step, and
    you pay a less than fair price. In other words, he's a small one man band, quoting lots of stupid small things costs money
    and takes time. On the flip side, being a small operation, he has very little overhead and you get a great deal on some really good
    tools.

    I know its an odd thing to just tell somebody to get you something without knowing a price, but I'll guarantee you he won't screw
    you, and I'll guarantee you'll get some kick ass tools, that are performers at a price that will make you bad mouth MSC for a long long
    time.

    If you don't know what you want, just tell him roughly what you want... That's what I do.
    He hits the mark 99% of the time, and he won't sell you crap, unless you specifically request crap.

    He's turned me on to some small manufacturers that make some kick ass tools at a very small price, that
    has saved me literally 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of dollars over the past few years.

    Lathe inserts .com

    On the turning tools and inserts... Here's a nasty one he helped me out on. His dirt cheap inserts beat out all the big name inserts I tried,
    and he even sent me some samples.. But his original recommendation worked best. That's 17-4 at an H1025, 10" in diameter, before turning.

    and after.

    And just for fun, I got just shy of 3 of these piles off of a sub $50 endmill that Curtis recommended to me, 4130, running 850-900sfm.
    Not a big name tool manufacturer.

    Maritool has or had some nice boring bars at a good price, I've been very happy with them, but Curtis can get you the full turning package in
    one shot.

    Not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer... besides I figure if he can make a few dollars off of you, he doesn't have to make as many dollars off of me.
    He's done really good for me over the years, saved me a ton of money and sold me some kick ass tools that I would have never known about if I was buying crap
    from MSC.

  • [machinist] Best web retailer for indexible turning tools and inserts?, Lawrence London, 02/04/2014