machinist - [machinist] Involute spline....

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Involute spline....
  • Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 04:36:04 -0500

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/involute-spline-277497/

  1. Involute spline....

    Hello,
    I am looking for the involute spline profile shown in the photo:

    dsc_4894.jpg

    For the outer diameter I have measured about 29 mm.

    Thanks

    Luca
  2. 12-26-2013, 05:57 PM #2
    Oldwrench's Avatar
    Oldwrench is offline Hot Rolled
    May 2009
    Location
    Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    532

    That's not an involute form. Involute splines look like short, fat gear teeth. That's straight-sided with a full radius root. It looks like a timing belt pulley. At 29 mm diameter x pi divided by 13 teeth it has a circular pitch of about .275 which doesn't correspond to any present-day belt pitch (either .200 or .375) but it sure looks like it was cut with a pulley hob. Maybe it's a metric belt pitch. Either that or somebody turned the teeth halfway off...
  3. 12-26-2013, 06:02 PM #3
    Oldwrench's Avatar
    Oldwrench is offline Hot Rolled
    May 2009
    Location
    Wyoming, USA
    Posts
    532

    Duh, sorry, I just read your location, so it's surely metric. In the days of straight-sided splines in the US they were just about always even-numbered for ease of measurement. If you could tell us about the mating part it might help somebody figure out what to do.
  4. 12-26-2013, 06:24 PM #4
    lucapap is offline Plastic
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    2

    It has to fit the connection of a small tractor PTO in order to use various accessories...
  5. 12-26-2013, 11:55 PM #5
    stephen thomas is offline Diamond
    Jun 2001
    Location
    downhill from Twain\'s study outside Elmira, NY
    Posts
    6,721

    Are you going to make the male or female part?

    In the US, we can sometimes get inexpensvie stubs of either M or F parts, maybe with a socket (hole) in the other end as well, to mate to the part we want to adapt. Some fitting, then a careful bead with a welding rod, and bob's your uncle. (Dunno how that one translates )

    If you have to make it, easiest/cheapest method is going to be a shaper or slotter.

    smt

  • [machinist] Involute spline...., Lawrence London, 12/27/2013