machinist - [machinist] Face Mill Suggestions for Cutting Steel

machinist@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Machinist

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: machinist@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [machinist] Face Mill Suggestions for Cutting Steel
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 15:29:42 -0500

Face Mill Suggestions for Cutting Steel
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/face-mill-suggestions-cutting-steel-259054/

I have a question about what type of facemill to use for cutting steel like 1018 and annealed 4140. Looking for something in the 3" range. Using it on a manual machine W/O coolant. 5HP spindle motor.
What have you guys been using as far as rake angle, triangle or square, insert recommendations, etc. I have a sandvik 3.25" facemill but it is designed for aluminum and the inserts chip a lot cutting annealed 4140.
I am also looking for a chart that lists different materials and cutting speeds (sfm).

With that limited HP machine you need highly positive inserts. If you have to cut to a shoulder a facemill that takes APKT inserts will work well.
If you don't need the shoulder then 45 degree SEKN or similar type positive square inserts will work even better. If you contact the guy that runs the website www DOT latheinserts DOT com he can get you set up.

if you don't need a square shoulder there are low hp 45 degree cutters that leave excellent finish. The sandvik r245 is one I have had success with, although on anything less than 50 taper I'd probably go with a 2 inch or 2.5 inch.

Other facemill thread:

Glacern and/or Maritool face mills

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/glacern-maritool-face-mills-ever-used-one-259029/

I have the following facemill from Maritool:
1 x R8 1.0 FACE MILL TOOL HOLDER (R8-FMA1.0) = $80.77
1 x Shell Mill 90 Deg X 3.15 dia X Square (F90SE09-D80B06Rx25.4) = $125.99
6 x SEMM09T308PESR KW10 (SEMM09T308PESR KW10) = $45.36

Does great in a 3HP CNC knee mill. Mirror finish is the norm with it. Very pleased.

I have a 2.5" Glacern face mill with the integral R8 shank. Mine works great. I've pushed it through 4140 that was approximately 30 Rc. Not real tough stuff, but it did fine at full width cut, DOC of maybe 0.125 and flood coolant. I was able to dial up the feed and depth of cut until the table mass and the total power was the limiting factors (9x42 and 2hp).

  • [machinist] Face Mill Suggestions for Cutting Steel, Lawrence London, 01/21/2013