lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] User roles/levels

  • From: Fred Stutzman <fred AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "David R. Woolley" <drwool AT thinkofit.com>
  • Cc: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] User roles/levels
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 19:59:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006, David R. Woolley wrote:

I would like admins of individual blogs on our Lyceum site to be able to control who can view certain posts and pages in the blog. I've found several WordPress plugins that address this issue in various ways. I'm looking, for example, at "ViewLevel": http://blog.firetree.net/2005/08/25/viewlevel-20/

But this raises a question about compatibility with Lyceum. In the WordPress docs, I see that the wp_users table has a "user_level" field, which I presume corresponds to the User Level that's described here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities#User_Level_to_Role_Conversion But how are user records handled in Lyceum? Since a given user can be an admin in one blog but have no privileges in another blog, does Lyceum create a separate user record for every blog for a given user?

Hi David, and JJB or Jameson can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe Lyceum creates a separate user record for each blog. The user record is unary and maintains levels and blog_id's. Therefore, I think that a viewlevel plugin would work, as it would be applied on a blog-by-blog basis, interacting with the standard user table.

And will a plugin like ViewLevel work with Lyceum or will it require hacking? For that matter, I'm not even sure if this plugin works with WP2.0, since its documentation refers only to WP1.5.

It may need hacking...I am not sure.

David R. Woolley

http://thinkofit.com/drwool/

--