lyceum-users - Re: [Lyceum-users] Subdomain access

  • From: DaveG <lyceum AT solidgone.com>
  • To: DaveG <lyceum AT solidgone.com>
  • Cc: lyceum-users AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Lyceum-users] Subdomain access
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:27:35 -0400

I'll answer my own question. Yes, Lyceum can do all I need! And it was pretty easy to work out too. The installation script was very clear, and only missing the creation of a .htaccess in root (below). Here's what I now have:

1] Users can access their blog via: username.domain.com
2] Lyceum is installed in a directory (/lyceum) under root
3] Blog URL's are clean. Note, that so far login/logout url's refer to my lyceum subdirectory. For me this is not a big deal. I was more concerned about URL's that are typically bookmarked.

I followed the standard instructions, plus:
As documented in installation.txt, installed /lib, /config, /installation as subdirectories under /lyceum, at the same level as all the other directories from /src. I did need to set permissions to 777, not 775/755:
/lyceum --> 777
wp-comments-post.php --> 777
/ajax
/bin
/config
/installation
/js
/lib
/smilies
/system-admin
/wp-admin
/wp-content
/blogs --> 777
In private.php (as the file comments indicate):
define('PRIVATE_REL_PATH', './');

In wp-config.php:
define('WEBROOT', '/lyceum');

In my domain root I created a .htaccess:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^(.*) /lyceum/$1 [L,QSA]

That's it! So far, a 1000% improvement on my MU experience :)

~ ~ Dave