livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Global Climate Change: Agriculture on the Brink

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: dhondt <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Global Climate Change: Agriculture on the Brink
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 19:55:04 +0100

What I have been reading for a good two years now is the extinction of species in the North pacific. First it were sea stars that seemed to suffer a strange disease, then we got the news that polar bears and walruses had been found with burned fur, last year Pacific sardines appeared to have gone which can account for thousands upon thousands of sea birds starving. It seems that in California not a single seal pup survived last breeding season. Etc. You never read that this is directly attributed to Fukushima radiation but what else can it be that works on such a large scale.

How long will it be before that radiation spreads to the Atlantic and the Southern Pacific? All the oceans of the world are connected after all.

What we can see here in Ireland is that pollinators are further disappearing and I can find less than 10% of the small song birds that we used to have only a year or two ago. In my opinion we are reaching an end game and we can not stare ourselves blind on just one or a few factors. Our disappearing pollinators and birds are not directly disappearing because of Fukushima or sea level rises.
John