livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Make an Easy, Inexpensive Mini-Greenhouse With Low Tunnels

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: herb farmer <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Make an Easy, Inexpensive Mini-Greenhouse With Low Tunnels
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 07:58:55 -0700

Sure sounds doable. I guess the rebar is bent to the right curvature & stays that way, & there can be several good reasons to be able to move it.

On 11/12/2015 11:48 AM, dhondt wrote:
5644DEEF.8050404@eircom.net" type="cite"> I made the first tunnel like this almost 20 years ago and it is still standing with the original plastic although one of our dogs made a big hole in a corner of it. We were building a barn at the time and the weather was atrocious and I needed a quick shelter to be able to weld and paint in the dry. That tunnel was 9 meters long. High tensile rebar steel comes in 6 meter lengths here so there was a bit of welding involved in this too.
Advantage is that the tunnel frame can be moved with a very few people in one piece. Place tunnel frame where you want it. Dig a foot and a half deep trench all around half a meter away from the frame and in that the stretched plastic sheet is buried. The whole tunnel will bend a bit in high wind but it springs back up to its original position.
One of the first things I did when we moved now a year ago is build 6 of these tunnels.
John