livingontheland - [Livingontheland] making a living as a small farmer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: l kelly <elkel@hotmail.com>
  • To: "livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] making a living as a small farmer
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 14:45:56 +0000

I hesitate to say that I make a living from "farming" as I am still building what will be in most farmer's eyes just a large garden/orchard/vineyard homestead probably similar to what a lot of you manage day to day....with only an acre under intensive cultivation, and a few added acres of wild-harvest, and enough acreage of woodland to fire the oven, stove and heater.
I definitely testify to the wealth and comfort that comes from always having food and fuel at hand, and enjoying the relative health of a laborious lifestyle.

As to the deck being stacked against small farmers, well, there is obvious data for that statement, but here in the United States, I have also benefited much from the social safety net of subsidized health insurance.
Because of our very small "farm" income, my husband's medical expenses from a recent fall that has left his legs paralyzed are largely covered.
Because of our very small "farm" income, my son attended college for "free" with a financial aid package.

I do not worry about my retirement as even if our Medicaid/Social Security  system goes bankrupt, I will be in the same boat as all others my age only I'll have a productive farm.

As to making enough cash to pay taxes and buy the foodstuffs that I can't grow but still wish to eat, I can say that we do okay in Northwest Arkansas.  There is enough cash flow in our local economy that my community is willing to trade their hard-earned cash for my whole food products.  I think value-added and diversity has added immensely to my ability to make ends meet, along with the fact that our main cash crop--raspberries--grow like weeds, but somehow the market here is way underserved.

I love this farming life, and would not trade it for any other.

Laura