livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Ciao Italia! A Conversation with Mary Ann Esposito

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Ciao Italia! A Conversation with Mary Ann Esposito
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:07:42 +0100

We are months away from peppers, tomatoes and beans. Plenty of winter crops left but many of them are going into flower now. Not bad to eat either those flower tops. Spring perennials are up such as climbing spinach, sweet cicely, garlic cress, alexanders and a good few others. And then there are of course the edible "weeds" like stinging nettle and dandelion. Nothing against nettle soup or stir fried dandelion flowers.
Traditionally this period of the year was called the hungry gap. Not because there is nothing to eat but rather because a lot of nice edibles are not recognised as food by native Irish people.
John

Ciao Italia! A Conversation with Mary Ann Esposito
http://www.i-italy.org/bloggers/11713/ciao-italia-conversation-mary-ann-esposito

Had to run this one as my partner cooked Italian when she was big enough to reach the kitchen counter, and her mother from Compania. Like Mary Ann she's been telling me simple cooking with good ingredients is best and easiest, and growing best tasting vegetables is the best way to start. she's got me growing
friariello peppers now with our strain of tomatoes & romano beans to come soon. After all people had to eat before supermarkets & industrial farms, and will again.

paul