livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the most, , INefficient farming method

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Why industrial farming may be the most, , INefficient farming method
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 21:22:22 +0100

Yeah, I know what you mean. My point is to have some kind of feedback
mechanism at the point of purchase that informs the buyer how much it really costs them in the future to buy something instead of making or growing it. The monetary economy does a grand piece of work hiding those costs so that people will be disinformed or uninformed when they "vote" with their money.

Eventually it will send them at high speed into the hard bottom of the ravine we have been talking about. You would not want for more people to realise this do you? People might stop buying and that would be the end of the economy.

They end up voting for cheap stuff and then complaining when other forms of taxation have to make up for the cheap prices on food and manufactured goods, while they "see" the cost of government constantly shown on the news or during debates about taxes, so they vote for more of the industrialists who have "proven" themselves to be more efficient (by shifting many of their costs and risks to the commons).

Not much difference between governments and corporations Dan.

As a purchase, perhaps people don't pay enough VAT to make them get involved in how it's spent.

Many people here are at financial breaking point. Double the VAT and they will go down and small shops will close. And there is no direct say of the people in what the government does.

After all, the more they spend for a car or a house, the more they put into taking care of it.

If they can afford to.

Perhaps they subconsciously consider 23% as the price for a disposable government.

And there are very few disposable governments really. Once a party gets into power they can make sure they get re-elected.

I'm just musing. Try not to take too much of my insanity seriously.

I must have been born old and serious Dan and it is a grave affliction. April 1st tomorrow and we will see what we can do with that.

John

Great topic and discussion. My thanks to everyone and Paul, too.

;)