livingontheland - [Livingontheland] California’s Epic Drought

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] California’s Epic Drought
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:35:24 -0700

I've been reluctant to get into this but it's past time, I think. From now on it's all about the food and water. Welcome to living on the land.

Leading Scientists Explain How #Climate Change Is Worsening California’s Epic Drought http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/01/31/3223791/climate-change-california-drought/

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

excerpt:

Remarkably, climate scientists specifically predicted a decade ago that Arctic ice loss would bring on worse droughts in the West, especially California. As it turns out, Arctic ice loss has been much faster than the researchers — and indeed all climate modelers — expected.

And, of course, California is now in the death-grip of a brutal, record-breaking drought, driven by the very change in the jet stream that scientists had anticipated. Is this just an amazing coincidence — or were the scientists right? And what would that mean for the future? Building on my post from last summer, I talked to the lead researcher and several other of the world’s leading climatologists and drought experts.

  • [Livingontheland] California’s Epic Drought, tradingpost, 01/31/2014