livingontheland - [Livingontheland] dec 10

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] dec 10
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:26:18 -0700

Local farmers seeing a renaissance in small-scale agriculture
http://www.haywardwi.com/news/local/article_21fe1b0a-5d14-11e3-9740-0019bb2963f4.html

Peak soil: industrial civilisation is on the verge of eating itself
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/earth-insight/2013/jun/07/peak-soil-industrial-civilisation-eating-itself

"Contamination of our food and land now affecting the way we think and disease of the mind has set in world leaders." --Chief Arvol Looking Horse, Statement by the Council of Elders to the UN, November 16, 2013
http://www.opednews.com/articles/A-Disease-of-the-Mind--F-by-Stephanie-Hiller-Cancer_Energy_Fish_Fukushima-131208-797.html

Community farmers' markets a 'win-win-win'
http://www.capitalpress.com/content/RG-market-op-ed-060713

I keep seeing food writers & experts urging people to eat healthier and support sustainable growing.
Markets have increased and food buyers want more locally, sustainably grown food. But it's my view that the growers aren't multiplying and growing enough to keep up with demand. Plus most of the area growers we've seen don't even make claims to grow organically, esp the larger farms with paid labor. And it's my belief that sustainable growers won't multiply until they see others show how to make good profits at it, and show how to break into the business without a trust fund or going in debt. A "labor of love" is a poor bet for meeting customer demand.

paul

  • [Livingontheland] dec 10, tradingpost, 12/10/2013