livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] More on Aztec broccoli

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] More on Aztec broccoli
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 23:21:07 -0000

Huazontle/Aztec broccoli is not exactly a weed here since it never self seeds whereas the quinoa will produce a few seedlings outside. The plant is most used here before the seeds ripen. We pick tops and stir fry. But it can not completely be stopped in producing ripe seed and this is easily collected and cleaned. Looks like quinoa but much smaller and there is usually enough for one or two family meals.
My system of saving interesting plants is to give them away to people you would hope to have an interest. Slightly disapointing usually. A good few years ago a friend from Skibbereen was eating with us and he liked the yacon a lot. So I gave him half a dozen seedlings in Spring and he had a fantastic harvest. He is 800 feet lower down and a bit warmer. These plants can have 5-6 kilos of tubers underground. I had explained how to propagate the yacon but the next year I got a call that he was looking for more seedlings and the year after and the year after. Then again a year later he came looking for seedlings in June which is a bit too late and all mine were planted out. He was insulted and that was the end of his yacon. I did not charge anything for all this and it did not help either one of us.
But I did give a plant away again just a few weeks ago to someone else. I expect this family to be selling yacon tubers next year. But if that is a success they will keep the plants going at least.
John
More on Aztec broccoli
Growing Strange Greens by: Deborah Madison
"But when a Yaqui friend of mine saw my huauzontle forest and asked, “How come you planted those weeds?” I was a little deflated."
 http://zesterdaily.com/author/deborah-madison/