livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "strengthen local food systems"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "strengthen local food systems"
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 21:08:43 -0000

They want to "strengthen local food systems under the umbrella of the
Extension Service". Right. What does the Extension Service promote?
And "it's important to get access to the center's statewide network to
collaborate on best practices and policies". Which of their "practices
and policies" do they want growers to "collaborate" on?

And "increase consumer access to locally grown food in places such as
conventional supermarkets." Hmm. Does locally grown include local
pesticides and RoundUp? Or did we miss something.

Our Irish big supermarket chains are in a price war, have been for years. They all sell some locally grown vegetables, mostly non organic so yes with pesticides. And it is usually these local products that are down priced. Much easier to put pressure on a local grower who depends on the super market for an outlet than on an importer of tropical fruit.
Last week I saw 1 kilo bags of nice carrots for sale at 30 cent per bag and 2 kilo onion bags for 45 cent. Impossible for a grower to make a living wage at such prices and only the supermarket still makes a profit . Like most farmers these growers have only two choices; get screwed or get out.
And no Paul, local farmers markets are not a real solution since the volume sold there is minimal. You really need to get your produce to the big cities to do well. (Dublin is a 7 hour drive from here)
John