livingontheland - [Livingontheland] "strengthen local food systems"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] "strengthen local food systems"
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:27:28 -0700

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/release/2013/11/osu-creates-new-center-support-food-systems?utm_source=vocus&utm_medium=news&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=news_release

They want to "strengthen local food systems under the umbrella of the Extension Service". Right. What does the Extension Service promote?
And "it's important to get access to the center's statewide network to collaborate on best practices and policies". Which of their "practices and policies" do they want growers to "collaborate" on?

And "increase consumer access to locally grown food in places such as conventional supermarkets." Hmm. Does locally grown include local pesticides and RoundUp? Or did we miss something.

Looks like everybody wants to hitch a ride on the movement to go local. Trendy words like "sustainable" are thrown around with nary a mention of organic, Monsanto, heirlooms, fossil fuel inputs or water conservation, and what they mean by "sustainable" isn't even mentioned. Wonder how many other such programs our tax dollars pay for. I'm just connecting the dots here.