livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 5 Foods That Still Have Trans Fats -- But Won'tFor Long

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 5 Foods That Still Have Trans Fats -- But Won'tFor Long
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 22:36:55 -0000

The piece seems reasonable to me too Paul and I noticed that I gave a very bad explanation yesterday. To have a transfat you need a double bond in the fat molecule. A double bond makes that it is called unsaturated. In nature most double bonds come in a cis configuration. To get rid of the double bond you need to hydrogenate the carbon atoms that have the double bond between them.
This will make the fatty acid stiffer, give it a higher melting point. This bond is now saturated.

But Kate Spinner is very right that partial hydrogenation will make massive conversion of cis into trans configurations of the double bonds that are not yet saturated/hydrogenated. Conversion of cis to trans will also raze the melting point.

With the government forbidding transfats producers will now have to fully saturate/hydrogenate poly unsaturated oils (very high melting point) and they will then mix in regular oil and try to keep the mixture smooth and workable. This will give a higher saturated fat content to margarines.

But what is still often missing in all the literature is that saturated fats are quite necessary for a healthy life. Especially short chain and medium chain length saturated fats. Which means that animal fats (from grass fed, free ranging animals that have not been fed gmo's and chemicals), the stuff that our ancestors ate in large quantities, are again thought healthy. We have come full circle on this.

John

This piece seems reasonable to me so here it is.
http://scienceornot.net/2012/09/15/is-it-safe-to-cook-with-olive-oil/

paul tradingpost@lobo.net