livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 411, Issue 3

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Livingontheland Digest, Vol 411, Issue 3
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 21:55:44 +0100

If I had easy access to a big city in Ireland growing and selling high quality produce would work. Locally it does not. Tried it, been there, done that. The locals are not interested. There are 4 regular organic growers selling their fresh produce in the Bantry market every week. They don't sell enough to pay their fee to stand there.

And on top of everything else we have a compensation culture here. When I heard of a friend organic grower who had sold a head of broccoli that supposedly had a caterpillar in it and who was fined 14,000 euro as compensation to the buyer I decided to be very careful and stop trying my luck. As a non native (FF'ing foreigner after 26 years here) it is an accident waiting to happen.

Then, the locally grown conventional potatoes are sprayed on average once a week and we would not touch them with a ten foot pole. Much of the organic farms are terribly mineral depleted and so their potatoes do not have to be super healthy either. And thus I think it makes a lot of sense to grow our own potatoes (and about 60 other crops).

Just thought it would be good to explain that things are not the same here as with you Paul.

John
Yeah, do the math. Here we make a point of not growing things for sale that compete with machine grown & harvested crops. Like potatoes. Or crops harvested by batallions of slave labor at cutthroat wages. I know better than to compete on price. We compete on quality like outstanding flavor, & service, with things people want & can't find in every Walmart.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net