livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Big Ag hurts the small farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Big Ag hurts the small farm
  • Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 13:04:16 -0500

I found this quote in my archives:

"The ambition for broad acres leads to poor farming, even with men of
energy. I scarcely ever knew a mammoth farm to sustain itself; much less to
return a profit upon the outlay. I have more than once known a man to spend
a respectable fortune upon one; fail and leave it; and then some man of
more modest aims, get a small fraction of the ground, and make a good
living upon it. Mammoth farms are like tools or weapons, which are too
heavy to be handled. Ere long they are thrown aside, at a great loss."

Source: Abraham Lincoln, Sept 30, 1859, Wisconsin State Fair

Dan C
Belgium, WI