livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Should You Be Able to Buy Food Directly From Farmers?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Jason Dunsmore <jasondunsmore@gmail.com>
  • To: dconine@bertramwireless.com
  • Cc: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Should You Be Able to Buy Food Directly From Farmers?
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 17:40:04 -0500

A thought-provoking post.  Thank you.

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com> wrote:
     Asking "should?" becomes a civilization issue. The purpose of
civilization is to isolate humans from the risks of nature through the
use of group strengths and specialization. It works both ways in that
the isolation from risks allows humans to develop without exposure to
those risks.
     It is a matter of convenience vs. self-dependence and security.
Security of the individual requires access to resources directly, but
security of the group requires moderation of access to resources in
order to protect the group's interests.
     Civilization crumbles when it forgets people need to stay connected
to resources at some point or they forget the requirements of those
resources (the value of human beings to the land is lost, then the value
of the land to civilization (built on human agriculture) declines
entropically back to randomized existence for lack of human inputs).

It really comes down to whether we understand the value of uncivilized
human beings.
Should civilized people have a 'right' to directly access resources? Not
according to the intent of civilization.
The real question, then, is "Should all human beings be civilized
(city-based)?"
The land says "no".

So the answer to your question, "Should you be able to buy food directly
from farmers?" is "at least some of the time or we forget what
civilization is for."
The riskier this "sometimes" access is, the better it makes people.
Most civilized people forget that humans are animals requiring exposure
to their natural habitat: so much so that we even try to civilize the
other animals (CAFO).
Even worse is that we have civilized farmers (specialization, college,
money, entertainment, insurance, etc) and the communities that depended
on them not being civilized. The commerce of small towns used to be the
interface between cities and farms. Now, those towns are all just
extensions of the cities and the farmers themselves are suburbanites
running factories according to civilized formulations.