livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Should You Be Able to Buy Food Directly From Farmers?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Should You Be Able to Buy Food Directly From Farmers?
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 11:23:17 -0500

Asking "should?" becomes a civilization issue. The purpose of civilization is to isolate humans from the risks of nature through the use of group strengths and specialization. It works both ways in that the isolation from risks allows humans to develop without exposure to those risks.
It is a matter of convenience vs. self-dependence and security. Security of the individual requires access to resources directly, but security of the group requires moderation of access to resources in order to protect the group's interests.
Civilization crumbles when it forgets people need to stay connected to resources at some point or they forget the requirements of those resources (the value of human beings to the land is lost, then the value of the land to civilization (built on human agriculture) declines entropically back to randomized existence for lack of human inputs).

It really comes down to whether we understand the value of uncivilized human beings.
Should civilized people have a 'right' to directly access resources? Not according to the intent of civilization.
The real question, then, is "Should all human beings be civilized (city-based)?"
The land says "no".

So the answer to your question, "Should you be able to buy food directly from farmers?" is "at least some of the time or we forget what civilization is for."
The riskier this "sometimes" access is, the better it makes people.
Most civilized people forget that humans are animals requiring exposure to their natural habitat: so much so that we even try to civilize the other animals (CAFO).
Even worse is that we have civilized farmers (specialization, college, money, entertainment, insurance, etc) and the communities that depended on them not being civilized. The commerce of small towns used to be the interface between cities and farms. Now, those towns are all just extensions of the cities and the farmers themselves are suburbanites running factories according to civilized formulations.

Should You Be Able to Buy Food Directly From Farmers?