livingontheland - [Livingontheland] New mushroom section on TheModernHomestead.US

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] New mushroom section on TheModernHomestead.US
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:35:52 -0500

When we think of making a more sustainable and productive homestead or farm, we think primarily of working with plants and animals. But don't forget *fungi* as potential partners in the enterprise.

At long last I have put up a new section on fungi, wild and cultivated:
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Fungi+in+the+Homestead.html

It opens with three articles:

"Fungi in the Homestead and Farm Ecology"
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Roles+of+Fungi.html
sketches the role of fungi in the ecology and what they have to offer as allies, especially for the reclamation of woody wastes that all too often get carted off to our landfills.

An increasing number of edible and medicinal species can be grown, as described in "Cultivating Mushrooms"
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Cultivating+Mushrooms.html

If you decide to give growing mushrooms a try, check out "Resources for Working with Fungi"
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Mushroom+Resources.html

And best luck: I've been growing mushrooms for many years now--it's great fun.

Enjoy the new material!

~Harvey
--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book The Small-Scale Poultry Flock was published by Chelsea Green, October 2011. Check it out at
http://www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock:paperback