livingontheland - [Livingontheland] garden planning

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost@lobo.net
  • To: <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] garden planning
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:35:06 -0700

Planning the garden makes less work & gives better results every time. Online apps & sites now offer helpful guides, but the needed plans can easily be done & revised on paper as I do. I've muddle through at first & improved planning over time, & this is my basic process refined now. It's all there for home use or market growing. I've never seen any complete step by step listing of this sort anywhere in all my research. Prob some of this could stand improvement or clarification; YMMV. It works for all regions but assumes suitable soil & climate for general growing. Most of all it just helps us think through what we're doing.

Decide what to grow
Find last avg frost date & first avg frost date
Find earliest & latest planting dates for varieties, & times to maturity
Plan planting dates for succession or all-at-once harvesting for each variety
If buying plants, guess at times to maturity
Research growing details for each variety inc anticipated water needs; can vary
Decide what to start indoors or under protection & adjust planting dates accordingly
Plan spacing for each variety in rows, wide rows, or permanent beds raised or not
Based on time & space available, work out where to plan what & how much of each
Chart planting plans & write in dates planted & transplanted

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] garden planning, tradingpost, 01/07/2013