livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Sheep and orchard trees

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Rob Wilson" <robwilson5095@yahoo.com>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Sheep and orchard trees
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 19:14:37 -0000

Thanks, now I may have sleepless nights too :)

We have plenty of cold (called lazy because it cuts straight through you instead of going around you) wind but I have not noticed it making animals stand all the same direction unless there is at the same time a lot of rain coming along with it. (which is often the case).
Both cows and sheep then move into the wind until they find a hedge or a stone wall for shelter. It is obvious that cows don't like to get their ears, eyes and noses blown full of water and often you see them standing underneath a tree with just the head a bit sheltered and the rest of the body exposed.

Sheep here don't seem to mind the weather that much within reason. They are tail docked here as well but not completely. You have to legally leave enough tail to cover their "back sides". And the main reason for docking is not so much the flies that strike at any part of the sheep (back, neck, sides as well as tail) but that un- docked lambs make 30% less at sales.

But even in really bad weather you see sheep grazing from all directions; not specially turning any side into the wind.

John
G'day

Some of the more "sustainable" vinyards here in Australia run sheep between the vines to keep the grass down rather than tilling.

Now I hope that someone in the Northern Hemisphere can solve a conundrum that has caused me many a sleepless night. In Australia cattle will point their heads away from the prevailing wind sheep however point their heads into the wind. Down here we dock the sheeps tails off when they are young lambs to prevent "fly strike". So I suspect that Australian sheep do not like the cold wind blowing up their backsides. Can someone put my mind at rest and answer the question. Do sheep in the Northern hemisphere point their backsides into the prevailing weather?

Rob Wilson
Bruthen
Victoria
Australia