livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] cultivating young farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Lori <bakequery@aol.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] cultivating young farmers
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 21:27:41 -0500 (EST)

We stopped using the CSA because of the cost. It is a wonderful way to invest in your local farmer and share the burden of bad crops but as you said, it is expensive. The worst is when you inevitably get a bumper crop of something the week you are least prepared to deal with it. For me the answer is to go to the farmers' market once a week or my local health foods store or Whole Foods. We buy mostly organic, staying away from the dirty fruits and veggies and all GMO's. We eat eggs from our own chickens or from a local farmer we know personally. We eat pastured beef, pigs raised outside in the woods, and free range organic chickens. It's expensive but we feel that we will either pay now in high prices or pay later in illness.

You remind me of the S. Korean exchange student we had living with us.  I asked for a studen that knew how to cook so that I could learn about her culture as she was learning about mine.  I got a girl who knew how to rehyrate ramen noodles and make a sandwich.  I ended up teaching HER how to cook Korean food by buying cookbooks, going on the internet,etc.  I thought her how to wash her clothes, too.  The most important thing I taught her, though, was how to think.  In S. Korea you memorize facts and are not taught to think about things. You spew information.

I was astounded when Ji Yoon told me that when a girl is going to get married in S. Korea she goes to school to learn how to be a wife. There she learns how to cook, clean, launder her clothes, etc.

Growing up the Korean grandmother does all the work while the mother and father work seven days a week, 12+ hours a day.  The older kids go to school from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm.  They eat lunch and dinner at school.  At 6 pm they go to 'academy' which is 4 more hours of school.  Then they usually board a bus and go to ANOTHER academy from 11 pm until midnight.  They also go to school on Satruday mornings from 8 am to noon.  Koreans are very competitive but sadly, if you earn an A you may not get it as only so many A's and B's are handed out.

After academ;y the kids go home, do whatever homework is left, and then go to bed around 1:30 am.  They get up at 6:30 am and start the day all over again.  Our kids may not have THIS much pressure but we many are run to dance class, football, soccer, blah, blah.  There's no sitting around the family dinner table.  There's plenty of sitting alone in one's room texting or emailing.  The kids of today don't face to face with each other.  Boys play video games where they don't even have to talk to or look at one another.  No one even talks on the phone, they text.  Grandmother is in a nursing home or living by herself somewhere.  The kids are left alone for hours.  How can they learn ANYTHING?  Looking back I am so glad we made the choice for me to stay home and homeschool our two children.  When I was little we lived in a house with our grandparents.  Our parents were separated.  Our mother worked one full time job and at least one other part time job, sometimes more.

The work is getting more and more insane.  Head for the hills!
Lori