livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Food Movement

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Food Movement
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 08:09:04 -0800 (PST)

I was one of those who couldn't vote for it. I read the arguments pro and con, then I read the actual text of the law. My view personally is that GMO foods should be labelled and the application of genetic engineering should be restricted while the science behind it needs to be unfettered. Label me a believer in science and a hater of those who get unnecessarily rich from it and are distastefully  arrogant in its application if it helps.

As I said I read the law and who it exempted - alcohol, medicines derived from GMO, by products derived from GMO like corn syrup, animals who have as their feed GMO foods, GMO foods with less than 1 percent content, transgenic s, and anyone who was willing to sign a paper saying that to the best of their knowledge their product didn't contain GMO, anything labelled organic under the 1997 organic standards act (which we know disallows GM in anything labelled organic). The medicine issue is probably more complex than it seems, if its not clear what I mean think about 'golden rice' or whatever its called.

It basically exempted every special interest, and 90 percent of the GMO out there. And somewhat more curious - it exempted something that was never supposed to contain GM. I am a paranoid person who wonders if this was an attempt to further weaken the 1997 organic standards act - or an admission that the act will be weakened in future?

So maybe I was wrong in doing so, or maybe I remember what happened to little old ladies in places like Oakland when we passed the rico act and promised it wouldn't be mis-applied, or for that matter the 3 strikes law which put non-violent petty offenders in prison for life at taxpayer expense and made a mockery of our legal system (which is already pretty mockable). I am old and crusty , and I bristle instinctively at laws which seem like subterfuge or laws that seem like they are for show. The fact that arrogant industries and its adherents were frightened by it enough to malign it are not enough reason for me to vote for it. I cannot see myself voting for a law just because I do not like the people who are against it (which by the way was the substance of many of not most of the campaigns out there for it - industry hates this - so lets vote for it).

Ok rant over.

pete