livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Largest disaster declaration in USDA history

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, OWL-OldWaysLiving@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Largest disaster declaration in USDA history
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 14:08:59 -0600

Largest disaster declaration in USDA history as heat and drought sweeps the
US midwest: http://bloom.bg/NnpPDx

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

time for more focus on Extreme Gardening, coping with difficult or changing
weather & climate conditions. time to learn new techniques, new materials, as
well as relearn what worked in the Old Ways.

not exactly low tech but I've had to switch to compressed air stapling on
greenhouse covering & raised bed coverings. screening raised bed frames
allows mkts greens production thru blistering heat, protects from grasshopper
invasions & summer hail. all w/out pesticides or chemicals tho. no excuses.
so many mkt customers saying the heat got my tomatoes or heat got my spinach.
here's a new tip: Viroflay spinach. germinates in the cold, grows thru the
heat, & regrows in the spring. great taste. very old French heirloom.
http://www.localharvest.org/spinach-seed-viroflay-C14341
http://www.botanicalinterests.com/products/view/0223/Spinach-Monstrueux-de-Viroflay-HEIRLOOM-Seeds
http://rareseeds.com/monstrueux-de-viroflay-spinach.html