livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Population (again)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Pete Vukovich" <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>, "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Population (again)
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 01:11:28 +0100

 attended a Joel Salatin lecture a couple months back, he said something interesting. He's his own guy of course, a self described environmentalist capitalist christian or something like that...
Anyway he said at one point (paraphrasing), 'he believed people should pay more for decent food , he wasn't concerned so much with person on food stamps living in the poor section of town, he wasn't out to save them, perhaps (his words) they couldn't be helped or saved'. I believe he was indicating that he felt we'd exceeded carrying capacity, and the appropriate response was to attend to the survival of the wealthier segments of society since in his mind that was a workeable system. Since the audience was largely middle/upper class nobody batted an eye, and nobody thought it was interesting that his dislike of monocultures didn't apply to humans. Just a wierd aside. Still it was a good lecture.

--pete
Personally I don't see a point of feeding anyone who's only capacity is consuming, no matter how rich they are. I have a suspicion that the rich are not necessarily rich because they are more usefull for society. Often the contrary. Many are just better thieves and crooks.
And maybe Joel Salatin is not too far from this wavelenght but does not want to upset the appletarts (Irish joke).

john