livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Population (again)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Population (again)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 22:14:22 -0700 (PDT)

Resource use is a part of it, carrying capacity is a part of it, the problem is carrying capacity isn't investigated or considered until a population goes beyond it (in my experience). I think when you come to a point where the world tells you you're using resource X (water) better (say 10x better as in the article)  than everybody else and you're still running out of X its safe enough to say your carrying capacity has been exceeded if the resource has no substitute.

Still you're right, it would be nice to know what that carrying capacity truly is before culling the herd. The only fear there is evidenced by issues such as global warming. For some reason humans like to turn survival issues into political or reactive ones instead of thorough objective considerations. I believe this may stem from being predators, predators I'm told can't survive without optimism, even though it can be delusional and lead to their demise.  Like watching a coyote try to steal a grizzly bear kill.

China is a great case in point, its population growth is nonzero, the situation is politicized to the point where pro-population growth advocates are given newsworthy status, its resources are being degraded, its more than willing to rob stable sustainable communities and countries to get what it needs, and it still can't say what its carrying capacity is. Partially because carrying capacity is not a stationary target, it moves as the land is degraded both by desertification and misuse.

I attended a Joel Salatin lecture a couple months back, he said something interesting. He's his own guy of course, a self described environmentalist capitalist christian or something like that...
Anyway he said at one point (paraphrasing), 'he believed people should pay more for decent food , he wasn't concerned so much with person on food stamps living in the poor section of town, he wasn't out to save them, perhaps (his words) they couldn't be helped or saved'. I believe he was indicating that he felt we'd exceeded carrying capacity, and the appropriate response was to attend to the survival of the wealthier segments of society since in his mind that was a workeable system. Since the audience was largely middle/upper class nobody batted an eye, and nobody thought it was interesting that his dislike of monocultures didn't apply to humans. Just a wierd aside. Still it was a good lecture.

--pete