livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] How 1 Mil lbs Of Organic Food Can Be Produced On 3 Acres

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] How 1 Mil lbs Of Organic Food Can Be Produced On 3 Acres
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:40:56 -0600

Good to see different views on it. As for Dervaes I checked them out some
time back. Google "dervaes family cult" and decide for yourself. I saw
http://boingboing.net/2011/02/18/oc-weekly-dervaes-fa.html
http://kristaandjess.wordpress.com/2011/02/21/urban-homesteaders-urban-homesteading-on-the-urban-homestead/

Very few people needing to grow have a Pasadena year-round climate, or
Allen's foundation funding, volunteer labor, & free land. The test, it seems
to me, is how to grow sufficiently without ANY of those to guarantee success.
My 1/4 acre garden comes with the house payment, & nobody volunteers to help.
Infracstructure comes out of my pension each mo. We have 5 mos frostfree &
10" annual precip. Oh, & high winds, hot summers, cold winters. Point being
our challenging situation is far more typical of the millions across this
country who could or should be tryng to grow.