livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Five Simple Things Consumers Can Do to Prevent Food Waste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: liz@allslash.org
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Five Simple Things Consumers Can Do to Prevent Food Waste
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:59:07 +0000

My daughter's friend said a lot of the grocery store dumpsters are locked on
the sides to keep people from throwing their own trash into it, but not
locked on the top. The top is apparently high enough that people can't reach
it from the ground but employees standing on a loading dock can throw the
store's garbage inside. She said she just carries a folding stepstool with
her so she can reach the unlocked top lid. She also said that Aldi's, the
German-owned warehouse store, throws out more than any of the other chains.

The charities around here won't take anything that's less than a year from
its expiration date. My daughter is one of those "coupon queens" who can walk
into a store with ten dollars and walk out with a hundred dollars worth of
food, as a result of which she ended up with more than she could reasonably
use or find room to store. So she tried to donate the extra to a local womens
shelter, and they wouldn't accept most of it. They said they couldn't take
anything that might expire before it was used, and they didn't have the staff
to be checking things all the time to see if they were outdated. So my
daughter took it to a flea market and sold it, which was nice for her, but
not for the people who would have benefited from it otherwise.

Liz