livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Bringing Home Ec Back to the Classroom

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, OWL-OldWaysLiving@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Bringing Home Ec Back to the Classroom
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:38:04 -0700

Bringing Home Ec Back to the Classroom
Published: September 12, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/opinion/bringing-home-ec-back-to-the-classroom.html?_r=1

During the 20 years I taught home economics in both junior and senior high
school, I made it a priority to teach healthy eating habits. My students
always prepared dishes that were nutritious and easy for them to cook.

Fresh fruits and vegetables were included in these lessons whenever possible,
and we frequently discussed the hazards of including too much salt, sugar and
fat in the diet.

These students often returned during their college years to thank me for
teaching them these skills.

I was disheartened when home economics was eliminated from the curriculum in
many New York school systems.

Most children are no longer taught how to cook at home and therefore do not
have the tools to help them make good food choices.

Bringing home economics back to the classroom would be a huge step toward
educating our population about the hazards of obesity while teaching them to
eat responsibly.

AUDREY MANNERS
Nantucket, Mass., Sept. 6, 2011
\\\\

  • [Livingontheland] Bringing Home Ec Back to the Classroom, Tradingpost, 01/16/2012