livingontheland - [Livingontheland] New on TheModernHomestead.US (OT)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] New on TheModernHomestead.US (OT)
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 10:14:07 -0500

NEW ON THE SITE: "The Scythe"

I recently added a new article to my website, "The Scythe: Historic Tool on the Modern Homestead," which includes a history of the scythe, a discussion of its parts and design, sources for more information and for ordering the best scythes, and describes the use of this elegant homestead tool.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Scythe.html

COMING SOON: "Living Fences"

The article I'm currently preparing for addition to the site is about using living barrier hedges to replace manufactured fences. Use of living agricultural fences is a long established practice in Europe and elsewhere, but has not been used much in this country. The amount of feedback I got from Mother Earth News readers on this one makes me think it could be an idea whose time has come.

RECENT ADDITIONS: The following is a list of other new articles I've put up on the site since July 16:

"THE JOYS OF COVER CROPPING" Starts with the nature of soil fertility and discusses the major cover crops and many creative cover cropping strategies.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Cover+Cropping+Part+One.html

"INSECTS IN THE GARDEN: Toward a Balanced Insect Ecology" Dealing with crop damaging insects without toxic pesticides.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Garden+Insects.html

"THE SILVER APPLEYARD: A Great All-Round Duck" The many virtues of my current favorite duck breed.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Silver+Appleyard.html

"MY LONG GOOSE BREEDING SAGA" Breeding geese has been a challenge. I finally had a little luck with the project, and this article tells the tale.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Goose+Breeding.html

"GAME BIRDS: A NICHE MARKET OPPORTUNITY" A proven model from a farmer friend of mine for integrating game birds (quail, chukar, and pheasant) with diversified farming to serve niche markets.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Game+Birds.html

"SERVING A NICHE MARKET FOR STARTED BIRDS" An income opportunity: Offering already-brooded, ready-to-go chickens to local folks who want to start their small backyard flocks conveniently.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Started+Birds.html

"MORAL PUZZLES IN THE BACKYARD" A meditation on the moral ambiguities that arise working with backyard and small farm flocks.
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Moral+Puzzles.html

Hope there's something here you'll find of interest. Enjoy.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK (Chelsea Green) is available at
www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock

  • [Livingontheland] New on TheModernHomestead.US (OT), Harvey Ussery, 11/08/2011